Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

170k miler 964

Will G-J

Hi guys, i'm after some advice

I've found a fairly nice looking 964 C4, with 166k miles on the clock. It doesn't mention a rebuild of any sorts but has been serviced regularly at 9M. Is that high a milage for a 1990 car anything to worry about?

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65727

Totally depends on the maintenence, what's been replaced and when. As far as the engine you will probably want a compression and leakdown test on it to make sure it's OK.

Porsches are great if they have been properly maintained and that applies to high mileage cars too. As long as bits have been replaced as required. Or you should be looking to get it at a cheap enough price to be able to replace tired suspension, gearbox and engine parts to bring it back up to an acceptable level.

Typically 964 engines tend to need a top end rebuild every about every 100K miles to get them back to thier best.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65735

Thanks ian

the car is available for 11k, if as you say i need to replace suspension, gearbox and have a top end rebuild done whats that likely to cost me? roughly

And after i've done all of this am i going to have a car worth anywhere near 11k plus the above cost? after all if will still be a high milage car

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65752

in a nutshell no..........but it certainly won't lose much if anything purchase pricewise

with all that work being done to it btw i'd reckon you'll be spending between £4-6k

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65755

Cheers Rodders

Just spoken to the owner, he's had the car for a year and in that time its had a new clutch, brakes and some oil pipes

Is it possible for a 964 to get to that kind of milage without ever having had a top end done?

Also Is there anyone in the north-west who could do private inspections?

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65757

try yer OPC...........they PPI'd mine for less than what an AA/RAC inspection would cost

tho obviously factor in you getting it HPi'd.........approx £40

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65759

PM me the Reg, and i'll HPI it for you..

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65767

Thanks for that Dan

PM sent

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65769

Will

Have you spoken to 9M about it - you said they have done the servicing, they might be willing to shed some light.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65773

sending fax now !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65774

It's perfectly possible to reach that mileage without a rebuild, but I would suggest it's unlikely.

To put it into perspective my 1990 964 C2 has done 164,000 miles and had a top end rebuild at about 40k to sort the lack of head gasket issue, it then had a top and bottom end rebuild at about 150k.

As others have mentioned I suspect that it would need new shocks, all suspension bushes, possibly wheel bearings, maybe a gearbox rebuild, dizzy belt , caps and rotors.

Don't let all of that put you off, but the price does need to reflect exactly what work has or hasn't been done ..........

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65782

Faxed..

:wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65783

Thanks Dan got the fax - HPI seems to be fine

Stu- had a word with 9m this morning, they could tell me that they had done alot of work on it but due to computer system renewal the labour and parts weren't on there so they can't tell me what

Jamie - Seems a daunting list of work, would that still fall within the 4-6k price range rodders suggested? The idea of a blank canvas to get set up how i want it is appealing though.

the car is advertised on below

http://www.911uk.com/adverts.php?category=Porsche+911&sub_category=964+:+1989-1993

Cheers

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65785

if its needing suspension you could look on it as a chance to upgrade,cos it looks standard right height at the front anyway,tho could be down to the (possibly???) 16inch Cup1 wheels

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65795

Don't know much about what upgrades would be worth doing. WRT the suspension especially

Any thoughts?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65806

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back