Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Boxster 2.5 Aero Kit 1999

Mike Baldwin

Hi,

I'm worried for a friend of mine who is about to embark on Porsche ownership.

He's found the following car locally that on face value looks ok but there are a number of points that worry me about the deal he has brokered. He's asked my opinion and even though I know about cars I'm no expert on Boxsters. If I post the details of the car I would really appreciate your thoughts and opinions (saving more money for a 2.7 or a 'proper' porsche isn't an option unfortunatly, already tried that on :wink: ).

• 1999 Porshe Boxster 2.5 Aero Kit with rear spoiler
  • Met Black
  • 18" Alloys 'Sports classics' (they looks like split rims)
  • Sports design pack
  • Climate Control
  • Wind Deflector
  • Sound pack CR22, 6cd changer
  • Black Leather interior
  • Hardtop
My friend has brokered a price just over 14.5K which is where my alarm bells started sounding especially as from the pictures I've seen and the information I've been told it has the following potential problems.

• non matching rear tyres
  • Pictures in advert are of an un washed car
  • Scratched rear bumper
  • cracked rear plastic screen
  • Wheels are curbed and need a refurb
  • Drivers seat warn, but not too warn
  • Roof had to be guided into place when closing (is this common?)
He has thanksully undertaken a full HPI check and that proves to be clear which is good and from the above cosmetic faults managed to get 1k in reduction in asking price down to under 15k.

Hopefully from this information you should be able to piece together the sort of car I'm looking at and hopefully help me provide my friend with some advice.

I look forward to reading your comments.

Many Thanks

Mike

Migration info. Legacy thread was 63464

Daz is in wales i'm sure hes let you come round share a sheep while discussing the boxster

Seriously though, does the car have a full history, check with the OPC's about that rear screen they can be expensive to replace I seem to recall. Also if the roof needs to be guided into place check the sills to see if they are water tight. The tyres could mean 2 things an owner caught with a flat and needed quick fix or they haven’t cared for the car properly.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 63465

I think the split read screen could mean a new roof,£1K cost!

I would be really worried about having to guide the roof into close, could the car be twisted.

In reallity the best thing to do is get an independant inspection done, would be the best couple of hundred quid spent, especially as this car sounds quite ropey.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 63466

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoker
Back