Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake pad warning light

Dave

The warning light has come on indicating that I need to replace my rear pads (996 C2) although when looking at the pads there seems to be quite a bit of life left in them. Is this just a sensor issue or does the light come on very early.

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62143

That's what a track day will do for you!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62146

If the lights come on, then the contact is broken on one of the pads, may be the one that you can't see very well. If it's the same way as a 993 then you'll need to replace the sensor as well as the pad once the light's come on.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62157

The sensor is just a piece of cable run on the outside of a plastic plug. When the pad wears down and goes through the insulation of the cable, it completes a circuit and on comes the light. You will probably have a decent amount of pad left - they have to build in a safety margin.

Sounds like a trip to the garage Dave. I'm sure Parr will be cheaper than Burgess Hill

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62165

Oooo, that's gonna cost you Sir........Ask them if it's covered under the warranty :p

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62166

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Seagull on 05 June 2006

The sensor is just a piece of cable run on the outside of a plastic plug. When the pad wears down and goes through the insulation of the cable, it completes a circuit and on comes the light. You will probably have a decent amount of pad left - they have to build in a safety margin.

Sounds like a trip to the garage Dave. I'm sure Parr will be cheaper than Burgess Hill

perfectly said seagull......

you should be able to see exactly how much is left although a misplaced sensor can set it off early, but still a good opp to have a good look and then book it in......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62167

I think I am going to have a go at changing the pads myself next time - haven't a few people tried this on here? Plus I've got a trailer, so if I make a hash of it, I can still get the car to an OPC!

Anyone know what pads cost for parts only and it anything else is needed?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62170

Chris, you will need sensors (1 per wheel) if the light has come on, Anti-squeal shims (2 per wheel) a pin set (1 per axel) and pads. Sid also recommends replacing the caliper bolts. Total, about £120 + VAT per axel depending on what pads you go for, plus some brake cleaner and Copperslip.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62172

PS tightening force for the caliper bolts is 85 Nm

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62173

my sensor had come on (i'd melted it) and JZM charge me £14 for the sensor, they just hooked the old one out and put the new one in

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62179

If you track your car or are able to see how much brake pad you have left, many just disconnect the sensors and wrap them up away from the brake pads. Brakes frequently hit 500-600deg C on track, and a small bit of plastic simply will not withstand those temps without melting and causing the brake pad warning light to come on! You can check the amount of pad left by just visually inspecting them...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62199

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back