Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porter Cable Polishers

Seagull

Estoril
With all this talk on here recently about polishers, I thought I'd have a quick look on the web to see what I could find out. The prices, where available in this country, vary hugely, so here is the cheapest. All up with a transformer about £100 which I presume excludes VAT. That's cheaper than importing one from the Sates. :D

http://www.maxtool.co.uk/index/porter-cable/polishers.asp

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57507

That is a really good price, all you need is the transformer which can be bought from Screwfix.

Go on, you know you want to!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57709

Err.....

I've heard tell by all you Zymolites that polishing off, as well as application should be done in straight lines. Doesnt something called orbital go round and round?

Confused :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57718

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Hendo on 08 May 2006
Err.....
I've heard tell by all you Zymolites that polishing off, as well as application should be done in straight lines. Doesnt something called orbital go round and round?
Confused :?

The PC works in an eliptical motion so for polishing is perfect. Wax should be applied in straight lines, all to do with the refractive index or something so that you cut down on the sight of micro marring/scratches

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57743

I have the feeling that this could all end in tears . . .

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57751

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Richard Eff on 08 May 2006

Why?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57755

Hi all,

Interested in this thread, but have a question myself....at what stage of the overall process do you use the polisher and with what as a lubricant/polish? Reason I ask is that I have a few 'marks' on my car and in a few cases some small spots of stuff that look like they have splashed on the car from the environment (maybe in a workshop from another car being worked on?) but overall the paintwork is good. I'd like to 'polish out' these blemishes but it seems like it'll need something stronger than HD cleanse and Zymol. In another thread G-unit advised me about Lehm Klay but haven't tried that yet. Any further advice on the detailed use of these polishers and polishes/ cutting compounds will be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers, Bob.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57757

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Shed17 on 08 May 2006

Previous poster said:

Why?
If I'm seeing Richard's comment correctly. Hendo, having applied his zymol in straight lines, armed with new PC, protective goggles, surgical gloves etc approaches his pride and joy carefully. Bracing himself, he pulls the trigger on said PC, is taken completely by surprise by the momentum of his new toy, bounces from rear wheelarch to front air intake leaving a series of gouges, scrapes and scars along the midnight blue flanks. Cue young James......... "Mummy, why didnt you tell me that daddy suffered from Tourettes?"

Is that what you meant mate? :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57759

Previous poster said:

Previous poster said:

Why?
From what I have read it takes a fair bit of skill and experience to get a good finish with these polishers, and it is easy to ***** things up, marking the paint etc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57761

Rich, you are so right,

I wouldnt dare use one, unless I had been trained by a professional.

When you see the work that GUnit puts into it, you will realise,

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57762

I have been using one for over a year and most of you will have seen my results. And if you are still unsure go onto Autopia and get a blow by blow instruction. It is all very simple, not rocket science. Also you use products that are not going to rip your clearcoat off, merely polish.

How many of you have now usewd clay on your cars, because I can remember the same comments coming out about that type of prep.

Come on now are you men or mice :)
If you do get it wrong and that is highly unlikly there are people like G-Unit who will sort you out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57768

Yea, guess you are right as long as we dont use heavy duty cutting compounds

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57769

If I understand this correctly, the polisher will actually take off a very thin layer of paint to remove the fine scratches. Now, how long would it be before you get fine scratches on it again? and now many times can you use the polisher before you're down to base coat?

I like shiny cars but is it worth sacrifising a layer of paint, which is not in unlimited supply, to acheive a temporary perfection?

I've seen people (ie me!) using hands to rub cars down and got down to primer (on corner edges) before realising he's gone too far, imagine a polisher on a untrained hand!?!?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57803

As I said above, you do not use nasty abrasive things like T cut.

How do you think your hd cleanse is removing oxidation and scratches, magic?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57824

Previous poster said:

As I said above, you do not use nasty abrasive things like T cut. How do you think your hd cleanse is removing oxidation and scratches, magic?
You mean it's not magic? :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57829

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back