Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking at 3.2s Boxster

Robbo

Hi all. I'm hoping some of you can give me a bit of advice on buying my first Porsche.

Let's get the figures and stuff I already know out of the way first. I'm looking for a 3.2s Boxster, it has to be a 986 facelift model (purely for the glass rear screen). I have a budget of upto 29K, although I would rather not spend all of it if I have to. The mileage has to be below 30K because I will put some on this car as my journey to work will eat up 60 miles a day.

Right then, I've seen plenty about within my budget, some very nice cars for that. Here's a couple of questions:

Would you buy a private car for this price? It does scare me a bit dealing with this sort of money on a private purchase.

More importantly, I've seen the Porsche Digital sound pack coming up as a feature on quite a few cars. What is this and what does it add?

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm itching to get my car now.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56081

Cridfords IIRC have a 987 2.7 for under £30k btw.........ok not a 3.2 but at least its current model

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56085

I was in Cridfords this weekend. That car is very yellow, which I don't know if I could live with.

They also have a Silver 986 for 24K, it has nepherite leather. We're still considering this car at the moment.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56086

I would buy privately, but it would depend on who was selling( ie would like them to have nice house and all that). Whatever happend I would only ever move that sort of money via CHAPS automated bank transfer.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56097

So Poo,

Chaps is the transfer that occurs instantly, is that right?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56099

Yes, it is. As long as it is done between 9am and 3pm at most banks. I think it needs three days notice.

However, if you get lucky the person you buy off may be at the same bank (ie both have lloyds accounts), then you can do the same thing but without having to pay!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56102

Chaps / TT moves immediately as clear funds. Also, make sure you HPI the car and if outstanding finance - then obtain settlement letter and settle the finance directly giving the vendor the balance. If you don't and the vendor doesn't settle - finance company still has clear title and could nab off you.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56103

JamieG,

Cheers for that advice, although that's something I was already aware of. I didn't realise you could settle the balance directly though, that's great to know.

On buying private, what should I be looking for on a low milage Boxster? The cars I've seen around have no more than 25,000 miles on them, so I was hoping not too much should've gone wrong in this time.

I'll check for the obvious service history. I'm generally quite savvy at looking for signs that the car has done more mileage than stated.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56107

Yes, you can make TT payment using agreement number as reference clearing finance.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56108

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robbo on 28 April 2006

On buying private, what should I be looking for on a low milage Boxster? The cars I've seen around have no more than 25,000 miles on them, so I was hoping not too much should've gone wrong in this time.
Robbo, whichever way you go, you will need to keep some cash back for those nasty shock at the OPC moments. This week, a couple of us with 3 year old, 20,000 mile 996s have had some expensive problems. 2 options here, either get an extended warranty or keep a couple of grand back just in case. The perennial RMS problem will cost about £750 to fix and if the box is off, it's probably worth having a new clutch thrown in at the same time for an extra £380. The RMS could go any time, there's no telling when.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56113

I've read about these problems.

The car is going to get through about 15,000 miles each year, mainly motorway miles. I do tend to give my cars some stick, but only on the odd occasions.

I've allowed about 1.5K in my budget for maintenance costs, excluding tyres. I do have plenty in reserve so that shouldn't be too big an issue.

This does bring me to another question; can you purchase a warranty from Porsche on a privately bought car?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56116

AFAIK yes but you have to pay an OPC to 111point check it 1st

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56134

Interesting to know some view.

Thanks for answering my questions, I really do appreciate the views of current Porsche owners.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56136

the yellow 987 at Cridfords might be a better bet as it will still have some manufacturers warranty left on it too..........as one RMS fail could eat most of your £1.5k fixing budget

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56161

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 28 April 2006

the yellow 987 at Cridfords might be a better bet as it will still have some manufacturers warranty left on it too..........as one RMS fail could eat most of your £1.5k fixing budget
Rodders - are you on commision from the guy who owns Cridfords? :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56163

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back