Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 18
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 34
993 : 1993-1998 2
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 21
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 3
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

nickd01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm contemplating my first Porsche purchase, the number of people reporting blown engines and 15k bills to replace them is starting to worry me.

As I'd be at the "S" and "R" reg end of 996 ownership due to budget, am I going to be faced with huge bills in the future? I know that you can't say for definate, but are my risks higher?

I was also considering a 993 C2, would this be a more reliable bet?

Thanks

Nick

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55324

Jay T
Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the Porsche warranty, you will certainly be covered as far as RMS and engine problems are concerned, so I wouldn't worry about those.

However, the 996 does seem to be quite an expensive maintenance proposition if recent post are anything to go by.

I still wouldn't entertain the idea of swapping mine for a 993 though Wink

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55331

Parts
Dijon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There do seem to be more engine problems with the earlier cars (1998-99) but is seems that all are susceptible. And as Jay says people in newer cars are facing higher bills as well.

Also the older 996's will be out of warranty soon as 9 years is as old as Porsche will go.

If you aren't planning to drive every day then a 993 might be a better option (if you can live without the 996 looks! Twisted
I know I couldn't).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55336

nickd01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without wishing to upset people (!) I think I actually prefer the 993 looks. I think the 996 is getting a little too modern for me.

Although, if I get to drive one I may change my mind!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55354

Jay T
Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different strokes for different folks etc.

IMO The last "proper" 911 shape was the 964. Probably not the most popular view on this board, but anything later than that to me is externally sanitised in comparison.

I figured, if I was going to buy a 911 with "watered down" looks I might as well go for one with a comfy cabin and A/C that works Wink

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55356

Parts
Dijon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous poster wrote:
Quote: Originally posted by nickd01 on 25 April 2006

Without wishing to upset people (!) I think I actually prefer the 993 looks. I think the 996 is getting a little too modern for me.Although, if I get to drive one I may change my mind!

I was only playing about the looks - the consensus is that the 993 looks better and the two drive differently.

It horses for courses!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55360

Seagull
Estoril

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous poster wrote:

Without wishing to upset people (!) I think I actually prefer the 993 looks. I think the 996 is getting a little too modern for me.Although, if I get to drive one I may change my mind!

This rather depends on what you currently drive/are used to. The air cooled ones do lack some of the creature comforts many people take for granted - but oh that noise Very Happy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55432

TCharge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous poster wrote:

Without wishing to upset people (!) I think I actually prefer the 993 looks. I think the 996 is getting a little too modern for me.

Ditto from me! Even 996TT's look tame compared to narrowbody 993's IMHO. Wink

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55455

ferrari's rule
Monza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why buy a porsche that is now known to be the worst ever made buy a 993 or something older nobody wants the 996 try and sell one to a porsche dealer that is out of warranty they wont want to buy it
I still cant understand why the motoring press never mention the 996 problems they mention every other make that has problems but not porsche backhanders bribes ????????????

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55489

Parts
Dijon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous poster wrote:
Quote: Originally posted by ferrari's rule on 26 April 2006

why buy a porsche that is now known to be the worst ever made buy a 993 or something older nobody wants the 996 try and sell one to a porsche dealer that is out of warranty they wont want to buy it I still cant understand why the motoring press never mention the 996 problems they mention every other make that has problems but not porsche backhanders bribes ????????????

Anyone will buy anything if the price is right and all these problems have contributed to the relatively low prices that 996s are fetching - this is why some of us can afford to buy them in the first place!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55492

ferrari's rule
Monza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous poster wrote:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 26 April 2006
Previous poster wrote:
Quote: Originally posted by ferrari's rule on 26 April 2006why buy a porsche that is now known to be the worst ever made buy a 993 or something older nobody wants the 996 try and sell one to a porsche dealer that is out of warranty they wont want to buy it
I still cant understand why the motoring press never mention the 996 problems they mention every other make that has problems but not porsche backhanders bribes ????????????
Anyone will buy anything if the price is right and all these problems have contributed to the relatively low prices that 996s are fetching - this is why some of us can afford to buy them in the first place!

yes but surely you dont want to buy a car that can go bang just ticking over in traffic just because its cheap there is a serious fault with the production on this engine porsche have always made good cars does the 997 suffer from the same problems as the 996 ??????the rear main seal is not really a big problem as lots of cars have these problems with seals

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55582

Shed17
Montreal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMS is not the major problem it is the liners cracking.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55586

Parts
Dijon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous poster wrote:
Quote: Originally posted by ferrari's rule on 26 April 2006

yes but surely you dont want to buy a car that can go bang just ticking over in traffic just because its cheap there is a serious fault with the production on this engine porsche have always made good cars does the 997 suffer from the same problems as the 996 ??????the rear main seal is not really a big problem as lots of cars have these problems with seals

Honestly - if you want me to understand what you are saying you are going to have to use some punctuation. You Ferrari people! Wink

The fault only effects some people (does that count as serious) - so yes price does come in to it. It is a risk you take when buying a 996, whether you get good car or bad car. People are willing to accept the risk if the price tag is less in the first place

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55592

Seagull
Estoril

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the real difference between a Porsch and a Ferrari is thet when you trn the key in a Porsche, you know you are going to hear the sound of igniting petrol, not just hope you will Razz
(Unless, that is, you make Tara feel unloved Wink )

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55656

Nick Terello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meaning no disrespect to Ferrari drivers, I heard this from my mechanic.

Also the difference between a Porsche and a Ferrari, when you thrash a Ferrari you should really look in the rear view mirror to see whats fallen off the car.

Sorry Lads! could'nt resist.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55836

Shed17
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous poster wrote:
Quote: Originally posted by Jay T on 25 April 2006
If you get the Porsche warranty, you will certainly be covered as far as RMS and engine problems are concerned, so I wouldn't worry about those.

And this is the very reason that Porsche get away with it - outright complacency Evil or Very Mad

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55883

Lee Bollom
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are problems with every performance car approaching 70kplus mileage (most 98-99s will be at that level.

just comes down to cost - Autofarm quote complete new engines at 4-8k which isn't too bad (Porsche obviously charge more.

The main problem with 996s is the RMS (old porsche all also have oil leaks to look out for).

My old S4 was the same, I never had any trouble, but they also were known for oil leeks and the turbos could go anywhere from 40k to 130k usually (mine were on 90k and still fine).

Lets be proportionate - yes the liner cracks is a worrying issue but most of the posts surround whether or not people are likely to get it, I've only seen one post where someone has actually had it happen to them.

I've spent the last week and half away from the Porsche forums, its done me good to be honest, I've not spent that week and a half worrying about the potential engine troubles.

I love my 996 to bits and it handles so well. and when I'm driving it and parking it up I don't think about potential problems.

The usual car things are true, buy a low miler and feel more relaxed or buy a high miler and feel a little bit more nervous. I still think the liner cracks are relatively rare, but when they do happen they get spouted around lots which makes it a bigger issue than it actually is.

My 996 is basic enough for me (the dash is awful compared to how my s4 was).

If its not got to be a motorway queen then buy the model you love most.

If its got to be a regular traveller up and down the country you may be better with a 996.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55902

Dave
Reims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous poster wrote:
Quote: Originally posted by Lee Bollom on 27 April 2006

there are problems with every performance car approaching 70kplus mileage (most 98-99s will be at that level.

just comes down to cost - Autofarm quote complete new engines at 4-8k which isn't too bad (Porsche obviously charge more.

The main problem with 996s is the RMS (old porsche all also have oil leaks to look out for).

My old S4 was the same, I never had any trouble, but they also were known for oil leeks and the turbos could go anywhere from 40k to 130k usually (mine were on 90k and still fine).

Lets be proportionate - yes the liner cracks is a worrying issue but most of the posts surround whether or not people are likely to get it, I've only seen one post where someone has actually had it happen to them.

I've spent the last week and half away from the Porsche forums, its done me good to be honest, I've not spent that week and a half worrying about the potential engine troubles.

I love my 996 to bits and it handles so well. and when I'm driving it and parking it up I don't think about potential problems.

The usual car things are true, buy a low miler and feel more relaxed or buy a high miler and feel a little bit more nervous. I still think the liner cracks are relatively rare, but when they do happen they get spouted around lots which makes it a bigger issue than it actually is.

My 996 is basic enough for me (the dash is awful compared to how my s4 was).

If its not got to be a motorway queen then buy the model you love most.

If its got to be a regular traveller up and down the country you may be better with a 996.

Couldn't agree more!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55915

McLaren MP4 12C Spider 2013

Ex 996 Targa 2002
Ex 996 Turbo 2001
Ex Cayman S Sport 2009

decompressing
Monza

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

postamble();

here here!!

(I love my 996 too....ooh..heating and air-con that WORKS!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56831

Jeff Bowen

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Dont cane me for this Embarassed
but I was oblivious to any of these RMS/liners cracking issues before I parted with a not insignificant amount of dough (last week) for a C4S coupe. The car itself is Lapis Blue/Graphite Grey, 03 plate, 13k miles and I hadnt stopped grinning Smile
since taking delivery from an independent dealer in Surrey.

However, having spent last night reading about the people who have had RMS issues and Lorna who has had an absolute mare with a blown engine, I have to say I am in danger of stopping smiling. I stretched quite considerably to get the car and although I did come in to this my eyes open (apart from said issues!), have a warranty from the dealer and a "running fund" (again not an insignificant amount of money) I dont want to have the feeling that I am driving a time bomb!

Questions:-

1. Am i worrying unduly?

2. I am about to check for oil on the garage floor (where under the car should I be looking)

3. Are there preventative measures (apart from reputable regular servicing)?

4. Should I get the car serviced at an OPC rather than the dealer I bought it from (who is providing the warranty) but who pays for the warranty parts?

5. If my dealer replaces the RMS and I switch to an OPC warranty next year (if I keep the car that long!) will that cause problems with the Porsche warranty?

I have got to say I am normally a "just get on with it and if sh*t happens then it happens and you deal with it" kind of bloke, so maybe I am better off sticking to the threads that talk about the positive stuff!! I would miss this forum though as it has given me a lot of excellent info.

Questions, questions...... think I'll just take it for a blast and not look at the garage floor!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56918

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: