Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3

dick jones

How good is a 996 GT3, and would I be mad to think about swapping my 997 carrera S for one.

Even though I have never driven a GT3 I just think it looks awsome (speed yellow) and looking at posts by owners it seems to be a great drivers car, my reason for thinking of swapping is that the wifes daily drive is now a freelander :oops:
and I use the transit.

The 997 was going to be our daily driver but my wife gets so much abuse when she's driving it she does'nt want to anymore, hence the freelander.

The 997 is tiptronic it's the only way I could get the car as she will not drive a manual anymore, it's a great gearbox but you do miss the manual change and the engine note it produces.

I want to start doing track days and would like a porshe that handles well on the track, it will get used two or three times a week on the local roads just to keep the cogs turning as I don't beleive in keeping a car garged and polished, it's there to be driven.

So anyone out there got any opinions on my thoughts to this idea and can 26 HP make much differance to what I get with the 997.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54947

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by dick jones on 22 April 2006I want to start doing track days and would like a porshe that handles well on the track, it will get used two or three times a week on the local roads just to keep the cogs turning as I don't beleive in keeping a car garged and polished, it's there to be driven.
So anyone out there got any opinions on my thoughts to this idea and can 26 HP make much differance to what I get with the 997.

Dick

Just do it. It was for these exact reasons that I sold out of a mint 993C4 and bought my Mk1 GT3. The GT3 is not as refined as the 997 and it is not as well built, but I absolutely guarantee you that you will never regret the decision if you value all that separates the great drivers cars (997) to the truly world class sublime (GT3).

It's no accident that the Mk1 GT3 won EVO's PCOTY defeating the Fezza 360 amongst others, and is ranked as one of the top three 911s of all time (CAR) (the others being the 964RS and '73RS) But don't just take the autojournals opinions, drive one and see what all the fuss is about. Better yet, own one and relish in the most characterful watercooled 911 produced to date.

Cheers,
Adrien

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54951

Sounds to me like good sound basis to go buy one.

You do need to drive one or at least get a ride in one. It's far more of an experience than just 26hp. If the only difference were that there wouldn;t be so much fuss. i think Adrien has it right it has a character all of it's own. Many of the newer Porsches seem to lack a little character & have become anonymous. You will never describe a GT3 as characterless or anonymous even if you don't like it when you drive it. :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54975

From my experiences a GT3 is similar to the other 911s i have driven, however the main differences to consider are the 3s suspension is a lot firmer and lower in ride height, this can give you problems over speed humps etc, and if your an old git you may find the ride to hard and noisy compared to your 997 however this is what gives the GT3 such character and capable track day car, there has to be some sort of compromise and it think the 3 does it perfectly!

Although these compromises are all forgotten when you feel the GT3s power, the main difference here from a 996/997 is that when you are at the end of your revs and about to change gear, this is the point where all hell breaks loose in the 3 and the car just screams on to 8200 rpm, it kinda feels as though it has some type of charger bolted on from about 5500rpm, the GT3s engine is totally different to a 996/997 and comes from the GT1, most GT3s usually dyno at about 400hp not 381hp as Porsche state!

Ps i love the speed yellow GT3s but good luck trying to find a RHD one, not many over here less then 5 i think!

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54976

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 911Silverback on 23 April 2006

Ps i love the speed yellow GT3s but good luck trying to find a RHD one, not many over here less then 5 i think!
...rob
Hatfield, Guildford and Exeter have all got RHD Speed Yellow GT3s for sale

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54981

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Seagull on 23 April 2006

Hatfield, Guildford and Exeter have all got RHD Speed Yellow GT3s for sale

MK1 or MK2?? CS or Comfort???

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54982

All Mk2s, Hatfield is a comfort, Guildford is a CS and Exeter is a CS with cruise control :?
Does that mean you work out what lap time you want to do, set the cruise control and sit back & enjoy the ride? :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54988

GT3= BEST CAR PORSCHE EVER MADE IMHO

( except perhaps, 993 rsr, gt2)

i remember the first one i bought, a chum of mine said red line it in second gear

I can remeber it now, coming of the elevated section of the m4, coming out of london, slowed down to 30MPH in a MK2

I also remember collecting Richard Burns 's car in Cambrige 8pm, id been up since 5 am and driven from cornwall to the docklands to deliver a car

Knackered but amazingly i was soon refreshed

Everyone should drive a GT3 just at least once, but beware you'll want one, I promise

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54989

I was in Porshe Exeter on Friday and had a look at the GT3 in speed yellow - superb looking car and very high customised spec.

Think I would need a bl88dy good radar jammer as well as me Snooper though :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54990

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by mark pearce on 23 April 2006

Everyone should drive a GT3 just at least once, but beware you'll want one, I promise
Mark, I do want one but I can't afford one. That's why I don't dare drive one :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54992

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Seagull on 23 April 2006
All Mk2s, Hatfield is a comfort, Guildford is a CS and Exeter is a CS with cruise control :?
 Does that mean you work out what lap time you want to do, set the cruise control and sit back & enjoy the ride? :twisted:

I thought they all came with cruise as standard? Mines got it, but then I do have the tarts edition. :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55001

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by mark pearce on 23 April 2006
( except perhaps, 993 rsr, gt2)
i remember the first one i bought, a chum of mine said red line it in second gear
I can remeber it now, coming of the elevated section of the m4, coming out of london, slowed down to 30MPH in a MK2

Yeah a wonderfull place to do it :wink:

My commuting route, get all these tailgaters along the elevated section, don't speed up til it goes from 2 to 3 lanes, tailgaters are getting ready to pounce into the 3rd lane and you nail it, they wonder what happened & you've gone in a wall of sound :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55003

I LOVE MY 3!!!!!!!!!

Nothing more to say!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55007

Thanks for the replies it seems to stir up some passion so I guess it must be quite a car, so I will attend a track day when you GT3 boys are there and scrounge a ride.

What is the differance between the comfort pack and the club sport interior

Dick

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55011

Comfort as follows:

Leather (either fat old lady sports seats or buckets), no cage.

Club Sport as follows:

Nomex buckets instead of leather, full cage, fire ext, harnesses plus normal belts, LWF, 10mm lower.

Both come with spare undies as standard.

I am sure Rob C will chip in with anything I have forgotten.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55013

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back