Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Machine polishing...

Robertb

Yas Marina
I am considering buying a machine polisher to get the swirl marks out of our cars. Is there anything I should know about them- is it easy to damage the paint by overpolishing?

Any hints and tips?

What is the best polish to use?

Cheers

Rob.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53143

PM G-Unit,

Better still, get him round, and he can teach you, and tell you what to buy.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53153

Something like a Rotary, you will cause some damage without any doubts.

A PC is easier but you can still cause damage. I use both. I wouldn't even think about buying the Rotary without some major practice as it needs to be treated with respect and I definately would not practice on your prized possesion. :D

The cheap buffers you see in shops like Halfords will be a waste of money as they will bog down.

Regarding different polishes, there are loads out there. I use a variety of them.

cheers

G

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53186

Buy the Porter cable, you will not regret it, then your car can look as good as mine because Arena Red is the best colour :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53234

Polishes. Loke G-Unit says have a variety.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53237

as g unit says a rotary should only be used by some 1 that knowa what there doing

if ur going to get a buffer go for the porter cable as these r user friendly

i have the rotary, porter cable and the cyclo (twin headed)

and there is a vast amout of compounds, polishes,glazes,sealents and waxes out there

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54357

Forgive my ignorance..... :roll:

I was under the impression that any "buffer" if it's rotary, will make swirl marks not get rid of them. I thought that this was why when applying cleanse/wax you use a back and forward motion rather than round and round......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54361

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nicola on 18 April 2006
Forgive my ignorance..... :roll:

I was under the impression that any "buffer" if it's rotary, will make swirl marks not get rid of them. I thought that this was why when applying cleanse/wax you use a back and forward motion rather than round and round......
I find its always better to use a back and forward motion :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54362

All depends on if you know what your doing. I tend to use both, Rotary on the hardcore and PC to finish. Its quicker aswell so I dont have to keep switching pads etc.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54364

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robertb on 11 April 2006

I am considering buying a machine polisher to get the swirl marks out of our cars. Is there anything I should know about them- is it easy to damage the paint by overpolishing?

Any hints and tips?

Cheers

Rob.

beat me to it rob, just been thinking about the same thing, rather for our other cars.........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54367

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 18 April 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robertb on 11 April 2006

Any hints and tips?

Cheers

Rob.

beat me to it rob, just been thinking about the same thing, rather for our other cars.........

Stick to a PC Sundeep. However if you have ceramiclear on your car then the PC wont be any good. Mainly newer cars have this.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54369

G

What PC do you use?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54370

i would be very carefull about using mops without professional instruction, and be very carefull with the compounds you use,

i get most of my cars 'mopped 'starting with ferecla g3, then g10, then a hand cut with g10 to remove the swirl marks caused by the mop,, i then get them zymol clensed,

then they go to the valeter who clenses them again then zymol vintage,

its not as easy as it sounds, and problems occur,

the latest headache has been due the changes in paint legislation, 2 pack paints are illegal from the end of this year and all body shops will be using water based paints and compliant lacquers which will be HS rather than MS- high solids rather than medium solids,

my bodyshop has been having problems with some of the trizac compunds with hs lacquers, they have been leaving minute very fine scratch lines in the lacquers, this can be over come using lubricatns with the compounds, or using G3 rather than trizac,

NOW the reason im saying this is the problems have beeen most noticeable with cars that have previously had paint, one car in particular had been supplied by cridfords 2 years ago, not a criticism of them, the problem being the lacquer that had previously been used on nit, but you guys wont know whats been done previously to your cars

BE VERY VERY CAREFULL MOPPING CARS, I've used the same one man band bodyshop for 20 years, i've mopped 2 cars with him watching me in the last 18 months, i'm not brave enough or foolish enough to do it myself, its so easy to press to hard and rub all the paint off on an edge of a panel, especially on curved areas, like wheel arch edges, bonnet and boot edges, edges of spoilers,

when you consider the cost of getting a car mopped, and respraying a panel, its probably cheaper to get a Miracle detail valet and then top the zymol up your self, than mess up a panel then get it resprayed.

BE CAREFULL GUYS IF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME SPEAK TO ANYONE WHOS WORKED IN A BODYSHOP,

I dont know what these cheap mops are like from halfords, but a decent mop will cost between £80 & £200, they are not for amateur use, and they are not for waxing cars, you need the final coats of polishs and waxes done by hand

NEVER EVER EVER POLISH A CAR IN CIRCULAR MOTIONS

YOU HAVE TO USE STRAIGHT LINES JUST LIKE SANDING WOOD

PUT THE WAX ON IN STRAIGHT LINE VERTICALY

POLISH OFF IN HORIZONTAL LINES

Or get someone like John Drake Or Paul Dalton to do your car and watch them, its cheaper than messing things up with a mop, Believe me

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54372

My reaction is essentially Mark's. Only I'd have just said 'Don't: leave to the professionals.'

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54378

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by G-Unit on 18 April 2006

Previous poster said:
Stick to a PC Sundeep. However if you have ceramiclear on your car then the PC wont be any good. Mainly newer cars have this.
PC being Porter Cable ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54381

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back