Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 running rich - faulty MAF

dean lock

My 1998 996 C2 developed a fault last year which the dealer gave me an advisory on. I.e the ltft (long term fuel trim) was running at +20% and would soon trip the 'check engine' light.

As I am broke at the moment (on my last porsche) I tried to do some diagnosis myself...

After visiting workshopmanuals.co.uk I discovered all about obdII and purchased a connector so I could plug my laptop into the car and see what all the sensors were reading. I guessed at it would be the MAF (air mass sensor) or the injectors (oh no!) or the oxygen sensors in the exhaust.

After trawling the internet I found reference from the Usa that the MAF design was changed in 2000 and that prior to this was prone to failure. So I paid £150 + vat for a new (old type) one, fitted it in 10 minutes (funny security allen key from halfords) and woooohoooo acceleration is back again.

Now I feel rightly proud to be a laptop mechanic...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51182

What sort of info did you get when plugging your laptop into the car - I am intrigued to know how it works (and very imporessed you have worked it out!)

What sort of software interface do you need to use?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51185

i myself would like to buy the connector too, the audi/vw boys have been doing this for ages.

I have a similar problem, my cars a c2 1998 3.4, just bought a new MAF from Porsche and fitted it, but the same problem still exists. Car stutters on acceleration.

Someone has suggested that its the Lambda sensor, so i've got it booked in to be fully sorted out.

So are you saying that i'd be better off buying a new (old type) one and if so do you know the part number of it?

cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51187

also, there doesn't seem to be Porsche listed on that website you quote?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51188

lee - did you get the right maf sensor for the year of your car just out of interest?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51190

Boys I might be a cynic but it sounds like a plug to me.

I may be wrong but my spidy sense is tingling.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51194

speed freak, - was thinking plugs too, just had the car serviced and plugs replaced and its got worse since then but it was logged as a fault before it was serviced?

911doc - i relied on porsche getting it right tbh but will check the part numbers tonight.

also, thanks for the PM, nevermind, sure I can't tempt you out of retirement? :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51196

lol - if you really need me then maybe i could don the super hero tights again :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51198

Don't think thats the sort of plug he's talking about... :wink:

Hope its not a plug, was really impressed by diagnosis and resolution!

would be Santa doesn't exist all over again.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51199

Ok wasnt that sort of plug is correct, I think it was an attempt to get a bit of interest in the product.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51201

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 28 March 2006

Ok wasnt that sort of plug is correct, I think it was an attempt to get a bit of interest in the product.Daz
You lot a very sceptical - must be too many number plate sales! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51203

doesn't sound like a plug to me, or if it is then its a good one.

He even meantioned the funny star socket you need to get before you can get the maf out. I had to run to screwfix to get a whole socket set!! luckily i have two cars. I remember this sort of thing used to happen just when you've got the one and only car you own in bits on the driveway.

911doc - sounds like you're a bit weird, don't want a man in tights working on my 911 ;-) only kidding, you must love working on 911's, go on, just think of all those slippers and pipes you could buy in your retirement. ;-)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51248

Ok, well I reckon that it is too much of a coincidence for a first post to have no hi chaps etc etc and just cut straight to the chase with the named bits and web site addresses etc in the post.

I might be wrong, however it also seems to have been written by an American, if you read thats the way it appears.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51252

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 28 March 2006

I might be wrong, however it also seems to have been written by an American, if you read thats the way it appears.

Daz
.....and an OBD2 is wired differently from an EOBD which the European 996s have

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51267

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back