Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

heat smell

alan sweeney

Montreal
Hi,

Having only had my C4S for 4 days still so many questions now I have her. As she has just had the sports exhaust fitted I am assuming that the heat smell from the rear which is pretty obvious and you can smell from several feet a way is the new exhaust gubbins that protects it just burning off. Or is it normal for there to be a warm smell for want of a better explanation as the exhaust gets very hot anyway??

Also is there any specific start up procedure, I visited a guy who had been drving Porsches for many years and he stated to me that each and every time he got in his C4 he let the engine warm up for 3 mins then drove off. Is there a specific engine temperature to allow minimal wear and tear on initial start up?? Not found anything specific in the manual.

Cheers Alan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51068

i think its fair to say that you should take it easy until the engine reaches its normal temp.

not sure about the warm smell though, not got a c4s.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51069

Dont go over 4000 revs (3000 if possible) until the temp gauge is over 80.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51070

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 27 March 2006

Dont go over 4000 revs (3000 if possible) until the temp gauge is over 80.

Daz

Over 80? My car just about gets to 80 under normal driving conditions..

Must be all that delicious titanium and other exotica at the back keeping her cool :wink:

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51073

I get a 'hot' smell at the rear as well as well as a lot of 'tinkling'...and hot air around the whole rear end.

As Daz says wait til temp gauge reads 80, but bear in mind thats water temp and you should allow a bit more time for the oil temp to get up too.

Another tip that I've just learnt, look in to investing in a trickle charger if you are not doing frequent long distances and want to keep the battery life up.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51074

If it dosent smell hot hot hot you're just not trying hard enough :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51080

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Philip1972 on 27 March 2006

If it dosent smell hot hot hot you're just not trying hard enough :D
thats what im talking about!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51081

All current printed advice says just drive off - never leave a car to "warm up" - just be gentle and progressively increase the revs , speed and throttle openings.

"Warming up " is as old fashioned as using the gears to slow down.

It comes from the 1940's.

Trust me I'm a doctor...

Oh - by the way.....
"and hot air around the whole rear end."
Thats the Jaylow effect - or baked beans!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51099

My C4S with Sports Exhaust is the same, although now the car is 3 weeks old, the smell is diminishing - I just put it down to it being a new car and burning off the coating on the exhaust.....

sidicks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51102

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stevo on 28 March 2006

"Warming up " is as old fashioned as using the gears to slow down. It comes from the 1940's.Trust me I'm a doctor...
Why not use the gears to slow down ?

dont racing drivers use them to slow down?

Could you please explain?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51107

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 28 March 2006

Previous poster said:

"Warming up " is as old fashioned as using the gears to slow down. It comes from the 1940's.Trust me I'm a doctor...

I was wondering exactly the same - please enlighten us?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51113

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by F1_Dragon on 27 March 2006

I get a 'hot' smell at the rear as well as well as a lot of 'tinkling'...and hot air around the whole rear end.
I've always experienced exactly the same issues with both my SC and 996. I assumed this was just something normal with 911s.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51127

Previous poster said:

Its because the engines at the back :)
That would make sense!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51136

Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 28 March 2006

"Warming up " is as old fashioned as using the gears to slow down.

It comes from the 1940's.

Trust me I'm a doctor...

===========================================

When cars had drum brakes and linings made of old fag packets it was necessary to use the gears to help slow the car - but since the invention of disk brakes this has been unnecessary. In fact using the gearbox causes premature wear on the drive train and additionally unstabilises the car just when you most need stability.
Racing drivers change gear to be in the correct gear at the optimum revs level - not to slow the car - they have very expensive and effective brakes for that.

Warming up a car by letting it idle has been outmoded for years, modern oils make this ancient practice a waste of time and fuel at best - some car owners manuals even included phrases like "drive off immediately". The tick-over speed simply prolongs warming up to no useful purpose.

Porsche Carrera (993) drivers manual page 35, says
"Do not allow the engine to warm up in neutral but drive off immediately while avoiding high rpm and full throttle until the engine has reached its normal operating temperature."

Audi A3 drivers manual page 164 says
"Do not warm up the engine when the vehicle is stationery. You should drive off immediately whenever possible.

Obviously no advanced drivers here.... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51146

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back