Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayman S Test Drive

Fingers

Hi Gang,

The wife was at the outlaws today so I went to an OPC for a butchers and was offered a test drive of the Cayman S. My boss is thinking about buying one and I wanted to give it a thorough going over, I had a 10 minute drive when it came out but didn't really get to enjoy it.

Have to say, I was very impressed, the car is rock solid, holds the road like its on rails. I had it up to 130 at one point and it wanted more!!!! The PASM with the sport setting was too much though for some of the roads we were on but apart from that it drove and felt amazing. The thing that really got me going was the roar of the engine! MAN, I couldn't believe the enormous screams it let out as I floored it through the gears. My 997 felt like bit of a pussy cat afterwards! However, the 997 is still faster and that much more involving.

For fun I had a go in a base 987 as well. I have driven the tiptronic but today I tried the manual 6 speed. Wasn't bad but the transmission in the 997's feels way more direct and reassuring! I love the Boxster and might get one next time round for a year or so, althoughit feels a bit slow compared to the 997, the steering and the weight distribution just inspire you to go that much further! Excellent car!

If anyone is interested we're having our first major drive in Tokyo this month - I can help with airfreighting your cars over if you want to come - GBP 5,000 return to Tokyo and back. So far, 1 X 993, 2 X 996, 1 X 964, 1 X 997 (me) 2 X 987 S, 1 X 986, and maybe a Cayman!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47786

Sounds like you were impressed with the cayman, Servo.

How much louder is than the 997 and is the 997 louder throatier than a 996.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47792

The 996 is very quiet and refined compared to the viciousness of the Cayman! The name is quite apt! So the Cayman is considerably louder than the 997. Its a much throatier note than the 997. To me the 997 sings, especially in 2nd at 5500 RPM - its a much sweeter note than the Cayman.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47842

Servo, i agree the Cayman is so loud, heard one out on track for the first time yesterday.

Well impressed.

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47851

I had a good drive in the cayman back at launch time and found it very similar to a 993 in terms of noise and poise - almost sounded air cooled! Similar in dimensions to the 993 too which is a good thing. Better throwability than the 911 range.

I've been offered one for a day and will be taking up the offer once Scotland has thawed out. Only thing that put me off is the price. I specced one with the bare essentials and it mounted up to £46k which is mk1 GT3 money. I think i'll have the GT3 on the driveway thanks!!

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47884

interesting post there Servo

wil be interesting to see Porsche get up to with the Cayman and when (if) the non-S version is released when sales start to slow..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48239

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 08 March 2006

interesting post there Servo

wil be interesting to see Porsche get up to with the Cayman and when (if) the non-S version is released when sales start to slow..
Yeah, I reckon they will bring out the Non S before the end of the year in time for 2007 model year.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48245

I test drove the Cayman before I bought the 996 and I agree it felt more like the 993 to drive than the 996 is to a 993.

What really stopped me from going for the Cayman was the claustrophobic feel of the cabin.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48277

I agree with you mark on the claustrophobic feel in the Cayman - Even worse was the Boxster I had a 987 for a while and really missed the space of my 997 - enhanced by the sand beige interior - feels a lot more open than the black interior.

Still love the Boxster and will probably get one day : )

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48287

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back