Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Aerokit damaged by Speed Bumps!

Sidski

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I have a 997 with an Aerokit but kept having problems with the front lower lip spoiler catching speed bumps etc. I got it repainted twice but in the end had to have the spoiler taken off as it was severely restricting where I got go with the car. Problem was, I was not happy with the look of the car without the spoiler in place.

I got my local dealer to ask Porsche they would be bringing out a modified spoiler but unfortunately they are no plans to.

I have a background in the motor industry so bought a new spoiler and had some modifications carried out to improve the road clearance but still keep the Porsche styling. The lower section has been trimmed back right across from end to end but very subtly

I am very happy with the results and thought I would share my experience with others who may be experiencing the same problems.

I have attached a picture so let me know what you think. If you would like to know more or have a similar modification carried out then please drop me a line and I would be more than happy to help if I can. I have more pictures also which I can send you if you wish to see them.

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/_1455(1).gif

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/_1456.gif

Sidski

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47056

Nice job!

I have the same problem with the aerokit on my 996 c4s. I just got used to hearing it scrape and i'm now an expert at angling the car to make it go up and down drives etc.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47081

After doing the mods I asked for, the bodyshop are offering a new 997 spoiler painted to your specfic colour and delivered for £499.

They may be able to do something similar for your 996 c4s ...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47086

Didn't realise the C4S was so low, I've only had very occasional probs with the Gt3 on speed bumps/drives.

If you weren't going to I'd get some mesh fitted to those air intakes though or you'll be looking at replacing the rads before you know it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47094

what was the original picture ? i.e before the change

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47112

I don't have a picture of mine that shows the front spoiler very well and my drive is tarmac and the car being black ... but this is one of the web that shoes what the original looks like ..

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/997-red-aerokit(1).jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47117

They're not usually that low, just with the kit you have to pay more attention to what your going over. My friend pulled out of a petrol station a his GT3 and scraped the bottom...when he got home he noticed that the black plastic bit under the front skirt had gone.He went back to get it but it was gone...£250 for a new plastic bit!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47122

Thats what I would have thougt, but all the 997's I have seen so far with the Aerokit on the roads near me have all had damaged lower lip spoilers. My car being black made it even more noticeable :(

My local Dealer Principle managed to rip two off the car just getting on and off his driveway.

When I took mine in to dealer to get the new one fitted they had another black 997 in to be painted for the 3rd time!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47125

Sorry to hear that, and hope that you have now found a solution, my std 997C2S scrapes speed bumps all the time, however it's worth setting the pasm to 'hard' as this reduces the pitching of the car, and substantially minimises the scraping.

Mind you the bumps become almost intolerable then!!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47127

The modified spoiler seems to have done the trick for me as I have not scraped it as yet ... :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47237

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back