Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 C2S Suspension Problems - Continued..

Dan Marsden

Some of you may remember my problem back in November last year with a suspension problem.....

http://www.911uk.com/forum/display_...orum=12&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

....well the OPC didnt really know what the problem was and in the end they couldnt find anything broken. They changed both rear shockers and all the suspension mounts and drop links both front and rear and after test driving the car there seemed to be a dramatic difference and the car felt as it should be.

However over the past month things have gone wrong again with the car feeling just as bad as it was. To the point of feeling car sick when driving it!!!!

I was beginning to wonder whether it actually is a computer PASM fault, because the car literally feels different every time you get in it, then on the motorway this afternoon I was driving at speed and a warning came up on the dash (PASM failure), the car immediately felt completely different as if the computer had switched something off and the suspension started to wobble around all over the place.

Anyone got any ideas? The car is going into another OPC on Friday next week. If they dont solve the problem this time, the car is being sold (I've had enough of all this now!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46935

PASM could easily be at fault, as the adjustments are very small but very direct... so either mechanics or electrics on this count ?

and of course it's not the 1st time 'software' has been to blame

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46956

Had the car into another OPC this week and the mechanic found the fault within 5 minutes of road testing the car. He felt the car was rocking diagonally from corner to corner rather from side to side as I had reported. Back in the workshop he plugged in the diagnostics (after finding no broken suspension components.) The computer read out that the PASM module was faulty and was therefore setting the cars suspension settings on the softest posible setting.

Got to wait a couple of weeks for the new module to arrive before they can get it fitted, but fingers crossed this should rectify what has been a long process. Very pleased with the service that Stratstone at Wilmslow have given, the mechanic was very knowledgable. Still very angry that the original OPC (JCT Leeds) didnt find the fault after having the car in twice (and for lengthy periods of time as well!). Still you vote with your feet. They certainly wont be seeing my car again in their workshops!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47816

nothing better than experienced mechanics eh? thats where the OPC's go wrong, pay peanuts, get monkeys...........

glad you got it sorted dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48083

Really scares you to read this, wonder what could have happenened if you had not tried another OPC!

Did this OPC offer a replacement car whilst yours is waiting for the new module? And I thought that Porsche UK would hold a replacement in stock.

Also all that warranty time and money that the first OPC waisted!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48600

No replacement car was offered, only a loan car whilst our 997 goes in next week. What annoys me is that Ive been driving the car around in this state since November last year and its taken this long to get it sorted. (well its still not actually sorted!!!!!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48624

And the reason they probably didn't find the fault is the bonus system that most garages work to. If the official workshop manual allows 4 hours for a specific operation, the mechanic in order to maintain his (and possibly the entire workshop's) bonus, has to complete within HALF the time. Typically in most up-market garages a 40 hour week has to produce 80 hours off the manual's target.

How they then get away with charging "x" hours on an invoice when only a fraction of the time has been spent beats me - sounds like fraud!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48626

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back