Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 noise when cornering

Chris McGonigal

Hi, I noticed recently that when tight cornering (more than 90 degrees, or approaching full lock) at mid to high speed a horrible low-pitched whining noise (sounds sort of like a a chair scarping on the floor) erupts from my 993. It seems to be speed-related (no noise at slow manoeuvring speed) and only occurs in left turns. At first I thought this might be a wheel bearing problem but now I think the noise is actually coming from the rear in the engine compartment so I'm wondering if it's a power steering issue.
s14.gif

Any ideas? I plan to get it checked out asap but would still like an idea of what sort of issue I'm looking at. Cheers, Chris

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44777

chris

hello and welcome to the forum

to help answer the question can you advise which 993 you have and what size wheels & tyres you have ? and their offset ET if known ?

regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44794

Could be your power steering. Check the level of the fluid as this sometimes happens when the level is low.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44798

Hi all,

Cheers for the responses. :)

It's a 993 Targa and still has the original 17" split rims, with standard spec PZero tyres (Front: 205/50 ZR17; Rear: 255/40 ZR17). Not sure what "offset ET" is. Wasn't he that little guy with the long neck in a Steven Spielberg film? :wink:

I checked the steering fluid reservoir as per the handbook and there's no evidence of any fluid on the dipstick at all! :eek:

This is particularly worrying since I recently had a full engine rebuild and service done.

It's not the easiest dipstick to read (being so small and black in colour) but I'm sure I've read it right, with the engine idling as directed (although the engine wasn't up to temperature - not sure if this makes a difference). I assume there must be at least some in there cos the steering isn't heavy and I can hear it whirring quietly at full lock.

If I've done this correctly then I'll invest in some hydraulic fluid asap.

Ta v much for the help!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44804

You need to check where the fluid disappeared to in the first place as this will just keep happening. Sounds like some of the seals may need replacing.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44807

Sure, will do.

First I need to track down some hydraulic fluid where I'm visiting in Belgium! The handbook mentions using Pentosin CHF 11S but by all accounts this seems to be like using unicorn semen! I guess logically there's no big diff between the Mercs, Beamers etc in terms of hydraulic fluids used so hopefully won't be a big deal.

Any tips on topping up the 'fluid?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44809

based on the above I think that sounds like you need a new steering rack ? but check the fluids 1st

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44818

the noise you mention when cornering , i know it sounds silly , but check the fan in the engine bay , these do collapse and make similar noises , i,ve fit a few of these as they sieze up too

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44825

I don't think there's any issue with the steering rack as the noise is definitely coming from the engine compartment. Closer inspection this morning on some wide open tarmac confirmed this, and also revealed that traces of the noise are evident when the car comes to a standstill AFTER a bit of sharp turning, and the wheel is left towards full lock.

It seems to be coming from the pump/hose connected to the hydraulic fluid reservoir (although I've no idea how this works) so hopefully it's just struggling with the obvious lack of fluid (it's not empty but it's well below the norm). I'll see what happens when I top it up..... if I can find some Pentosin CHF 11S!!! :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44845

any old power steering fluid will do!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44872

On instruction from my mechanic I just bought some Dexron type Automatic Transmission Fluid to put in the system, but this seems to be a distinctive red colour whereas the stuff in there is an oily gold. Would it harm the car to mix the two? Should I be using a CHF type fluid rather than an ATF?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45031

Just in case anyone has a similar problem and reads this.... I topped up the fluid reservoir with the stuff I bought and it completely fixed the problem. I later found out that the leak was simply due to a loose clip attaching a hose to the reservoir! Saved me a wad of cash.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 74346

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back