Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What's that smell?

Simon Brewster

All,

Since having my RSRs fitted a few weeks back, I notice that every time I park the car up there is a faint burning smell from the rear end.

The smell is somewhere between melting plastic and smoking solder.

Any ideas what this could be?

I have noticed a very slight loss of low down grunt since having the RSRs fitted, could this be related to the burning smell?

Si

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40690

check the heat shield ?

although a side effect of the RSR's is that you do loose some power..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40693

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 21 December 2005

really ??? where did you get that info from ??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40700

I haven't got RSR's but have experienced a burning smell from the OSR, turned out some rubber had been flicked up whilst driving onto the top of the exhaust box and was happily burning away each time I took the car out, had me very worried until I figured it out!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40701

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 21 December 2005

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 21 December 2005

really ??? where did you get that info from ??

hmmm, thought that was given in view of it's main criteria of better sound and it has been mentioned by a few rsr owners ? so I have read it also in my defence !

although always happy to learn better / real info.. maybe gert who is no doubt lurking could actually tell us ?

regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40729

Sundeep, that sounds just a load of botox to me... :)
Suppose there were no mufflers at all; would there be less power? The RSRs must be freer-flowing, shurely???

If there WERE a loss of power, shurely it would be at the top end (as opposed to loss of low-end grunt), when there is max exhaust gas flow?

As for the smell, I woudn't worry. If it IS something foreign, it'll burn off. But I suspect it's just all the stuff associated with a new exhaust - weld stuff, solder, debris, etc. I remember picking up my new MINI Cooper and being stopped by a bloke on a roundabout saying that the exhaust was smoking. I hadn't seen anything. So assuming he wasn't taking the piss (it was 2 Sep) it was nothing, cos the car was totally trouble-free for two years.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40739

Oh dear, I've just seen I wrote the real thing instead of p***. Sorry, Phil, for lowering the tone of the forum. :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40742

I've also read from few places mentioning about RSR losing power. I know they never claimed to increase the power output but I don't think anyone has actually proved any power loss other than using butt dyno. I seriously doubt any change in power output would be noticable on road, or even track unless you're a professional butt dynometer!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40750

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 21 December 2005

I've also read from few places mentioning about RSR losing power. I know they never claimed to increase the power output but I don't think anyone has actually proved any power loss other than using butt dyno. I seriously doubt any change in power output would be noticable on road, or even track unless you're a professional butt dynometer!
aye.... exhausts that one area where I know botox all about them.....! although know of a few good brands

but always good to raise such points so we can learn about such issues...

also weren't the copy the RSB's designed to claw back some of the power (supposedly) lost by the RSR's but of course we are only taking about the odd horse or 2...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40759

I agree that if the mufflers are more free flowing, then you should theoretically be able to expel the exhaust gas quicker, and hence refill the cyclinder with nice fuel/air earlier, etc, etc, and thus get more power, not less.

But in my experience with my last 3 motorbikes, if you put on a race exhaust (i.e. very little restriction) you do gain a bit at the top end, but it always wrecks the low/mid range driveability. Not sure if the principle is the same for the porker, but an engine's an engine.

Maybe a remap would cure the problem. I hope so because I'm tempted to go back to stock mufflers at the mo, but I'll miss that sound.

Incidentally I posted this on PH too, and there's a post from a member on there who says he has dyno proof that his RSRs caused a loss in power.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=230269

Cheers all,

Si

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40808

As I understand it, less back pressure (i.e. free-er flowing exhaust) means less low down grunt but more top end power, hence the need for bypass valves in the F355's exhaust to get the best of both worlds (although that was probably as much to do with getting round the drive-by noise regs!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40812

THis is interesting. Can somone please explain why more back pressure improves low-end torque (for isn't that what we mean by grunt?) Or are you saying that power, ir BHP, development over the rev range is altered? But again, why is this so? :?

(Mind you, I'm not about to sell my RSRs...)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40813

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back