Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What's wrong?

Fuchs

Baku
Hi guys, i just took my car out for a lunch time run and whilst on the m-way i began to notice that it didnt feel too stable. the best way to describe it is to say it felt like it was rocking corner to corner and side to side - very curious and in the end i slowed down. i was travelling at approx 95 - 100 when i noticed the problem.

tyre pressures were ok and i could see nothing amiss underneath.

any ideas, anyone?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39707

how long had it been since the last proper run?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39714

2 weeks - been kept in a underground warmish garage.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39716

very strange....

you would need to have a repeat to rule out a one-off anomoly...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39737

Has it been stood for 2 weeks solid with no movement? There could be flat spots on your tyres which are made worse by cold weather when the tyres are not getting their usual workout, your golf is! (maybe its a jealousy thing, having to play second fiddle to the golf for winter) That will teach you Warren! your porker is biting back!!....... When I used to lay up my old car in winter, I used to take it out and drive up and down the driveway to stop this happening, probably once a week. What tyres have you got on the car out of interest???

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39749

Have you checked your rear spoiler is popping up by the way.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39750

Dampers on the way out?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39966

potholes in the road? :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39968

How many miles have you done and have your dampers and springs been changed.

It is amazing what you pick up on when you have not driven the car for a while and have previously taken as normal. It does sound as if your suspension needs sorted.

Flat spotting would not cause what you describe and a car would not flat spot in such a short space of time.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39974

thinking back, i dont really remeber noticing if the spoiler popped up - i had a passenger who was chatting too much!!!

I could be because of the passenger that the car felt different, i suppose, i hardly ever have pax, so maybe the weight diff made the car act diff?

Im runing on winter tyres and the rears are J-u-s-t legal, so maybe that has something to do with it - BTW they are due to be replaced in the New Year and im going to get Ruf to do a full suspension check at the same time

Failing all the above, its probably a the revenge of the golf.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39983

i know this may be obvious but have you checked the bolts?

This happened to me on my MINI and ended being the change over form track tyres, my friend who helped change them had not used the correct tool to tighten :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40014

Thanks speedd, but i always use a torque wrench when i change my summer/winter wheels over - i do it myself so i know they are not tightened up too much/ too little. i then recheck after about 50 miles.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40017

Just a thought but could have been tyre ruts from lorries in the road or even side winds? Porsches (911's) seem to be very sensitive to both of these. Even so worn rear tyres won't help the situation.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40159

I'm with Bruce here Warren, when driving on roads that take heavy traffic and have not recently been tarred, the fat tyres tend to hunt from side to side as they try to follow the lorries 'tracks'.

Having said that, new/better shocks will make almost any car feel hugely improved -

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40164

thanks for all the suggestions - when the weather is better is take it out again for another run and report back - stroll on spring - im missing driving it already................

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40184

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back