Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Who's using their 993 through the winter?

Evil Jack

Monza
So, apparently this year it's going to be a real stinker!

My car is my daily driver - 30 miles round trip everyday accross countryside B roads - great in the summertime :twisted:
, but freezing fog and black ice this morning, has made me think about getting a cheap hatchback or something to take me through the dark days....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39666

My plan was to use it everyday for my commute, however fortunately (?) I have just changed job so now the train takes the strain.....

The train is a complete Pain in the backside, but given the weather forecasts maybe its for the best.

The 993 will not become a garage queen tho' tonight its a 150 mile roundtrip back to my old town for a reunion, hope the roads aren't icy!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39667

Not me - i've used a 911 all year round for 3 years, but after too many sideways moments have given up and bought a golf for winter use - already im more relaxed and a much nicer guy when i get to work in the morning.

evilJ - maybe you should invest in some winter tyres - they DO work better, but for me (and the swiss winters), it all got a bit much in the end. Temp here from beginning of nov to end of Mar doesnt get much above freezing.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39669

Oh, mine will get used. But as much as possible only on days when it's not icy and/or the roads aren't salty. 993s
are
pretty robust machines, but they're getting on in years and so need a bit more TLC...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39674

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Maxy M on 09 December 2005

Oh, mine will get used. But as much as possible only on days when it's not icy and/or the roads aren't salty. 993s
are
pretty robust machines, but they're getting on in years and so need a bit more TLC...
I'm with you here :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39681

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Maxy M on 09 December 2005

are

DITTO!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39682

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Evil Jack on 09 December 2005

Hmm, we'll see. A bit like that 'scorcher' of a summer we were promised.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39687

I used to commute 120miles daily, all yr round for 5 yrs without a problem. Now I've changed job, working a lot closer to home only 10 miles away. Should be an ideal journey for the car.

Unfortunately the car park at work is so tight and small, and a lot of traffic in and out with 80/90 yr old grannies and gran dads trying to do 3 point turns while burning their clutch in their Rovers and Skodas instead of reversing out. That just frightens the hell out of me every time I look out the window!

I now either use a Smart or our knacked old Fiat Seicento to go to work. Keeping the 993 for fun drives. That's why I'm thinking of changing to RS or GT3 as I don't need it for commute anymore.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39692

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ian_uk on 09 December 2005

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Evil Jack on 09 December 2005

Hmm, we'll see. A bit like that 'scorcher' of a summer we were promised.
I laughed at the long term forecast I read a few weeks ago, "a 60% chance of a colder winter than average". Eh? a marginally more than half a chance of a cold winter- gosh, sticking their neck out there...

I would use my 911 in the winter if I used it regularly. Oddly, I prefer that to the idea of the occasional blast on a salty wet road before being put back in the warm garage unused for a week or so...

As it is, I will aim to use it on dryer days.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39706

Only on drier days as I can't be arsed at this time of year with washing the thing

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39723

I quite like the slippy roads makes for some fun rally driving.

Dont like salt/snow/ice

The odd wash in winter is ok

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39724

I'm going all through the winter with my 996 - if the weather's that bad I just won't go to work. :D

Figure it could be a good way to get a company car anyway!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39727

The 993 is pretty much in bed as just had the stone chips done and dont want to get anymore with all the gritting that may be going on. But just had to go to Oxford tonight to pick up my old 930 and had to drive it back to Bristol. I ended in the middle of nowhere and the fog was awful. Needless to say I got lost in the Cotswolds, dark and thick fog no road map not that it would have mattered. Just got home and feel great. The old girl (23yrs) was superb no twitching from the rear on the slippery stuff just smooth and effortless all the way home, felt safer than in my A8. I love these things, old or new they just feel great so sod the weather.

Here's to two fingures up in the face of blighties crap weather, even you couldnt stop me taking my car for a drive today.....

It aint half cold tonight though, better put the heating up.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39736

my Corrado is meant to be my daily driver and my 924 is meant to be my winter/dont give a sh!t car....and guess what ive been using ALL the time?..............yes my 993 :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39754

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back