Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Flat tyre after track day - any advice?

Pete Harris

Hi All.

Went to bassingbourne with motorsport events on saturday. Good day, if cold and wet ,but the fiance managed to spin the 911 (no throttle through a corner and sharp turn in!). Off the track and had lunch and noticed the right rear was pretty flat. Checked the pressures and the rears had been at 36 (s/b 44 on an 18inch turbo II) so I'm thinking the lack of pressure allowed the tyre to move on the rim and deflate somewhat.

All good in theory as after getting back home the tyre is ok. Unfortunately it's flat again this morning so maybe we picked up a puncture on the track.

Questions are :-

1. If I can get it repaired who would you use in London? (I know it's better/safer/closer to God to get a new tyre but it's done 5k or so and I'd have to replace the other rear as well). Also would the company have a Dunlop Supersport in stock if I needed to replace it (don't want to mix the front and rears).

2. Anyone had a tire deflate due to low pressure and hard driving and could it be a seating issue or tire valve?

Thanks

Pete

p.s. Motorsport crowd were a good lot. Cheap day at 89GBP but very tight and slow course. They also run a day at Abingdon in near oxford which would be a better track for the 911 (I used to race bikes there) since it has a couple of longer more open corners.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39290

Possibly does not answer your questions, but I had a nail through a brand new tyre earlier this year and the consensus of opinion on here was that I was better off replacing it rather than repairing it. The equation seems to be peace of mind and the value of your life/other's lives/your car vs the cost of a new tyre. Swung it for me I must say.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39298

On a high performance car, I always thought a repair is more of a stop gap measure until you get new tyre. I do see any problem driving in city though, as long as you don't go for a blast on the fast roads.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39302

postamble();
You guys that throw away a brand new tyre thats been punctured without considering a repair must have more money than sense!!

Current repair techniques on tyres are totally safe-they wouldn't be allowed to do them otherwise.

There are certain circumstances in which they can't be repaired (and the people that do these things know about this), but otherwise they are fine. I can tell you that I'm more than happy to use plugs on motorcycle tyres (far more critical in my mind than a car), so doing the same on a car is no problem.

I once saw a courier motorcycle that had had 15 or so plugs fittend in the same tyre without problems!! (although I think personally, I would have replaced the tyre before then myself!!)

Really-don't worry about it....

Marc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39323

I have had a plug instantly blow out at 90mph - splitting the tyre open from the central tread area down to the rim - I never repair tyres now.

Its your choice - a tyre is not as costly as a no claims bonus - or a life.

Driving through Germany wondering if its going to be ok is not my idea of fun.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39332

Had a repaired bike tyre blow out few yrs ago, may or may not be due to the repair, but don't really want to find out by doing it again, lucky to survive that one!

How much doe it cost to have a peace of mind? Depends on how much risk you want to take.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39335

not so much a case of "too much money over sense" more like a little "Insurance policy" against it going pear shaped IMO

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39343

When you consider the money that is talked about being spent on performance upgrades, sweeter sounding exhausts, warranties and polishes and I know it's not everyone....it does seem crazy not to spend the money on something that is a safety issue. At the end of the day it's your personal perception of the risk...for me it would be a new tyre.....I certainly wouldn't want to be travelling at 3 figures (on a track of course) and find that the repair failed, come to that don't think I'd want to find out at my normal motorway cruisin speed of 70 either.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39345

New tyre £200? Repair, I don't know, say £25? Is the price difference worth the risk?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39346

postamble();
re the story of the plug failing at 90mph - well, all I can say is that nothing in this world is 100% safe....un-plugged tyres can blow-out as well (not that modern tubeless tyres do often), but that doesn't stop people driving cars all together....everything in life has a degree of risk attached...

To give you an example....how many of you have spoken to somebody in the past who justify's not wearing a seatbelt by telling you a story about somebody's life being "saved" because they WEREN'T wearing a seatbelt (it usually goes along the lines of the person would have been trapped or similar).....well, my answer to that theory is that yes, I accept there may be a one-in-a-million scenario that that might happen, but it isn't going to stop me wearing them. I've seen plenty of dead drivers/passengers who would still be here today had they not been so stupid....

Marc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39392

Tyre repair is a very personal thing, mostly led by hearsay and fear of god dispersed by main dealers. If a customer of ours asks us to repair a puncture and the carcass is otherwise OK ( I.E. no sign of internal wear), the puncture is located at least 1cm inside the tread area and is a straight perforation as opposed to an angled one, we would repair it. It is down to the customer as to whether the repair is undertaken, in these days of litigation frenzy one has to be so careful, any safety related issue is a discussion between the garage and the customer. We never used to think like that in this business, it used to be about customer service. Now it is about watching your back ( a wee bit).
Best rumour through the door so far this week and far from the first time we have heard it - " I need a new set of tyres for my XC90, the dealer told me that if I replaced one then I would have to do them all because it would confuse the 4WD." Own up, any C4 owners heard that one before. If anyone has fallen for it, please be aware that your car is fitted with differentials which means that it should cope admirably with wheels turning at slightly different speeds, it was designed to.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39440

I should add that in response to the original topic, you may find when the bead is broken that there is debris between the wheel and the tyre forced in there during your cross grass journey. If this is the case just hve it cleaned out, put bead sealing compound on the rim and re inflate. he compound will compensate for any marks on the rim from the debris. Hope this helps.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39441

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Nick Brewster on 06 December 2005

I should add that in response to the original topic, you may find when the bead is broken that there is debris between the wheel and the tyre forced in there during your cross grass journey. If this is the case just hve it cleaned out, put bead sealing compound on the rim and re inflate. he compound will compensate for any marks on the rim from the debris. Hope this helps.
good info there

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39442

Guys.

Thanks everyone for the info (special thanks to Mark). In fact I reflated the tyre on the day and put in another 20 laps to see if it was ok.

I'll get the tyre checked out and make the decision based o your suggestions about the type of damage.

Cheers

Pete

p.s. Was amusing being a passenger in the car with the fiance. Once she got over the initial trepidation she was getting it sideways under power on the corner leading to the back straight!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 39444

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back