Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 997

Currently in the market for a new 997 Carrera S and no doubt like most on this site I have spent many happy days at the dealers and surfing all the web info.

Thought I had finally come up with my perfect spec and then my dealer called with a car which is available now (rather than 5 month factory car).

Need to commit to one or the other this week and would love any comments on the available car and in particular on the Atlas Grey Exterior / Black interior, and any pics of Atlas would be greatly appreciated.

Interested on thoughts of both initial cost and resale values of the available spec ;

Atlas Grey/Black Leather

Carrera S Wheels

Heated Sports Seats

Sunroof

Bose Stereo

Multi Function Steering Wheel

Wheel Centres

Rear Wipe

Any help would be most appreciated.

Ali C

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36155

Hi Alasdair.

Well here's a dilemna for you, go for it now and get someone else's spec or wait and get YOUR car in March. There's several things to think about if you are interested in it's resale value, firstly when you are likely to change it. I hate to be the one to say it, but it will lose about £20,000 in the first 2 years and that's the cost for the pleasure of speccing your own car. For resale, either silver or dark colours (black or blue) are the best because more people want those. Time of year could also come into play - values are lower in the winter but pick up in the spring so the timing of your one on order could be good.

I don't know what Atlas grey looks like but as for the other options:

Carerra S wheels - good, they're in keeping with the model

Heated seats - unnecessary unless you suffer from farmers and park outside at night

Sunroof - nice but not necessary

Bose - good

Multi-function wheel - good

Wheel centres - cheaper to retro-fit

Rear wipe - good

Others - I don't know if Litronic lights are still an extra but IMO a must. PCM (sat-nav) a must.

One other point - the money you are spending would buy a good, low mileage GT3 or even a turbo and someone else has taken the hit on depreciation. It just depends on how much you want that new car.

Whatever you do, have fun, they're fantastic cars.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36170

Atlas is a nice colour, looks a look like metallic black. Spec looks a little mean to me, PCM is a must if you want to sell the car on in the next year or two and most used 997s have it. Rear parking sensors are also a common feature.

Litronic headlights are standard on the 'S' as are the 19" S wheels.

Rear wash-wipe - waste of money imo, doesn't even have a washer jet and costs over £200. Besides most 997 owners will want to wash theirs quite regularly so dirt will have little time to settle!

Check the Porsche GB used car locator website, you can get a feel for the must have options from there and also see a few pics of an Atlas grey one I suspect.

If I were you (mine's due in March), I'd wait and get the exact spec you want. £70k or thereabouts is a lot of money to compromise on spec (if indeed you are). As Seagull says a used 996 GT3 or Turbo is a nice alternative, but the depreciation is far from bottoming out on those two yet (997 versions out in next 12-18 months) and the 997 is a better car to drive, albeit slightly slower than the Turbo.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36185

loose the sunroof (gain headroom) and climate control does the job

and loose the rear wiper (never gets used anyway and damn ugly and waste of money!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36187

The rear wiper makes looking at the blonde in the car behind you at the traffic lights much easier :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36188

i'm assuming costs are roughly the same for the available one and if you waited 5 months for your "build"??

if they are i'd go down the "getting the spec you want" route,afterall the 5-month wait(which the bulk of it will be the Scottish Winter weather) will/should get you also into an "06"-plate which will be better for resale than a "55" plate 12months+ down the road so to speak,and of course(provided you're not getting finance for the bulk of the money needed) you'll also have a 2-3 months of your money making money for you in the bank before you need to get serious with deposits etc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36202

hope my reply helps - i just got my 997 carrera s 2005 and here is my reply

Atlas Grey/Black Leather - worried me as i wanted black but when it arrived it looked fab -

Carrera S Wheels fab - really set it off

Heated Sports Seats not really seen the need but im sure i will come november december :)

Sunroof - dont have one so cant comment sorry

Bose Stereo - really weird wasnt impressed first time i turned it on but now i have played it loud etc it is basically awesome - classical music is something to behold and faithless is so amazing its scary !

Multi Function Steering Wheel - use it all time and keep thinking what i would do without ! thats how good it is

Wheel Centres - look fab and really add a nice feature

Rear Wipe - a definate!!!!! have to reverse up my drive and if i dint have it would be such a pain!

Any help would be most appreciated. its a pleasure - just like the car!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36204

Thanks guys - A great help

Missed the navigation, phone module and parking sensors from my 1st list, so that looks to make up the 'must haves' pointed out.

Will let you know - It's a big big week......

Ali C

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36209

navigation - yes its good but depends on your travelling needs - i have it but hardly use it at all

phone module - absolutely fab - really smart and just works !

parking sensors - i dont think they are really needed and didnt chosse on mine as they spoil look of backend which is a pice of art :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36210

Alasdair

I've only just seen this - sorry. I have a 997 C2S so can give you my view on options if you are interested. I suspect if this was 2 months ago you have probably already finalised your spec.

Let me know.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40871

Interested on thoughts of both initial cost and resale values of the available spec ;

Atlas Grey/Black Leather - i plumped for atlas grey and war worried stiff as i hadnt seen it - got to say i prefer over black now!!!!

Carrera S Wheels - sorry i have carrera s so obviously would bias these!

Heated Sports Seats major nice point i would never had given second look at - but bloody works wonders on cold mornings

Sunroof - dont have one and believe spoils shear beauty of shape

Bose Stereo - wow what an amazing stereo! when first got car i wasnt majorly impressed but as time has gone on and volume increased i sit in awe!

Multi Function Steering Wheel - major plus point as its sooooo easy to change track on cd player and also make calls!

Wheel Centres - not even noticed !

Rear Wipe - spoils back end design a bit but needed massivley

Any help would be most appreciated. hope that helps with your purchase - email me if u need to know more - dream car that others cannot come close to

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40876

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back