Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 SSE gearlinkage

Paul Ridgley

Hi chaps...

i`m a new to the 911 sceene, and wondered if anyone could help.

I have a 1985 supersport, and the gear selection is very poor... Is there any kind of linkage problems these suffer with ??

I am actually a VW tech, and there are repair kits available for different cars. Is this so with 911..

secondly, where is the best place to scorce a set of wheels?? my SSE has 17" cup alloys, but i really want a set of original TURBO Fuch wheels...

can anyone help??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35943

Hi

This is a reply from a total novice when it comes to 911's, but does the SSE have the 915 gearbox? This is known for being "interesting" (also been described as vague, loose, long throw, crap etc.) for gear selection. If you have the chance, compare it to a few others, and see if yours is similar...

Mine has a short shift kit on, which i prefer (though through my limited test drives i never got familiar with the standard gear change.

Like i said, i'm a novice and i don't even know if your car has the 915 box, but hope this helps (even if only to let you know to ignore my technical posts in future :oops: )

Guy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35949

Cheers Guy.

Yer it does have the 915 box.

I have herd that there interesting, but this is terable. Dare i say it, it`s like driving a ford!!! :roll:

you can go from 1st to 2nd ok and up through the gears, but as soon as you come down, you cant get 2nd. If you stop at a junction, i really struggle to get 1st.

The clutch is new -ish with in the year.

any other advice??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36039

Maybe upgrade to a G50 box (dunno if that the correct name) people seem to mention that in the ads alot. You might be able to get one 2nd hand

Or you could ring some one like Nineminster or Northways and ask them how to improve it.

I'll pm supersport this thread as he owns a supersport if you would have guess it :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36044

If my 3.2 shifted anything like my old Mk2 RS2000 I'd be the happiest 911 owner on the planet.

First off check the clutch adjustment ,both clearance and throw. Could be dragging if not enough throw.

Next check bushings in the shift linkage. Remove the plate between the seats and you will see a linkage. Wiggle the gearlever and watch for play.

Yes there are shifter kits avaliable

http://www.seinesystems.com/GateShift-1.htm

more info in this thread
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=245169&highlight=915+shifting

good luck hunting those fuchs

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36045

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back