Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 tuning?

DB500

Trainee
Hi have just bought a 1995 C4 993 and while its in fab order would like to get a little more oomph, particularly in the mid range...Ive already fitted RSR mufflers which sound the business....chip tuning worth it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33222

I haven't had mine chipped but have considered it for a long while. Apparently most give you much better mid range torque and therefore real world oomph. Is your 993 pre or post vario?

How'bout tuning the suspension? It'll really transform the handling and makes the grin on face factor much bigger!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33223

Drill holes in your airbox....sounds great not sure about power increase though. There is a thread on here about this so have a look.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33224

Butzi what have you done with your suspension? Im told that there is a mod using RS bushes or something..?My car is pre vario C4 (LHD like yours) Im tempted to drill the airbox also......is 9M the best co for chips?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33225

If your car has the original shocks then they're more than likely to be way past their best. Simply changing them would make great difference. However, the OEM shocks (Boge or Monroe) don't last long,
?@40-50k
miles, that's why many opt for the Bilstein HD, which are better and last longer. At the same time you might want to change the springs as well, either to the OEM sports springs (M030) or be lazy like me and go for a matched spings(HR) and shocks (Bilstein) set, set up bt a tuning company called Roock. A bit more expensive but at least I know it'd works.

The bushes you mention probably are the A-arm bushes. Standard A-arm use softer compound than RS. When they wear out, you can't just change the bushes, instead you have to buy the whole A-arm. When mine went, instead of using the standard ones again, I just used the RS ones.

Drill the air box NOW!!! It makes it sound so much better on WOT. Free upgrade!

In a pre-vario 993, chipping will make mid-range grunt more like vario one, and b etter real world acceleration. I was told abyway. I hadn't gone for it still 'cos I quite like the bit where the engine gives an extra push at 3-4000 rpm. I'd rather spend the ££ to make it drive better than all out acceleration, for now. I'm sure there'll be plenty of well known companies, 9M included, that'll do good chip, but no harm have a chat with all of them to see what each have to offer. Check out JZM also, where I had most of the work done there, apparently they have access to some software that improves the way they re-programme the ECU.

If £ is no object and you just want to burn rubber, then there's always supercharge. Not sure how much more wear you put on the engine and how log it'd last but lots of ooomph for the £. Alternatively 3.8L conversion which cost much the same for a lot less gain but thats what the RS has as standard (some lucky b*gg*r here has one as an option on his car!!! makes me turn green thinking about it!).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33234

as Butxi says.. work on that set up first... out the box the car is already fast

depends on what your current suspension set up is....

but a strut brace and gear short-shifter will do a lot more for the feel, which is as if not more important ! a good set up, full alignment et al on a 993 will you able to use more of the power !

tuning co's.. having tried them, they do offer more mid range power but have yet to experince a real power difference on a 993.... they (JZ included) claim a lot and no doubt a rolling road will show something but in reality these cars out of the box are tuned...

but if you have a spare £600+ then you will get up to 5-7bhp and 6-10 lbs torque from a remap, assusming you have ther right exhaust & air filter... otherwise buy a Turbo !

however I have been impresssed with the work of 9m and Weltmeister (Silverstone), the rest talk too much

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33244

JZM every time, Jonas and Steve actually talk down the BHP gains of an ECU remap and instead point out the midrange torque benefits and better thottle response, an airbox drilling and better exhaust will help.

I of course agree with Mick on the suspension side and would also say that my RS clutch and LWF conversion was the best mod so far.

If I was to take mine a step further it would be to either talk to 9M about a Motec conversion or go down the 3.8l route, mind you I might as well get an RS then. or maybe a GT3!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33248

Chaps thanks for the feedback...thats more than useful-head is spinning with options here....Im keen to take a sympathetic approach to tuning the car, shes only done 51k miles from new (Butzi does that meaan my shocks are cream crackered already?) and Im not looking to make it breathe fire just optimise on the factory setup-so if I said 'hey heres £1,500 whats the priority?' Poon whats the deal with the RS clutch?

Oh and shes Basalt black does that mean its faster?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33256

From what I gathered before changing mine, it depends not only on milage but time as well regarding the shocks. Even if they're not completly shot, I'd doubt they're in perfect working order. The thing is, the car has such great reserve that in normal driving, even with knakered shocks, the car'll still feel ok, until that is, you have the shocks changed and feel the difference.

LWF and RS clutch is probably my next step. I'm planning on getting it done when my current clutch goes kaput. Still a bit worried about the potential stalling problem though, being pre-95 and all. Quite keen on the idea though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33258

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by DB500 on 01 September 2005

Oh and shes Basalt black does that mean its faster?
Nah.... according to complicated electromagnetic quantum particle dynamic cosmic theory, silver cars are faster! And if you Zymol/Swissol it, you gain an equivalent of 20 BHP due to reduction of coeficient of friction as well as the said theory that I can't be bothered to spell out again! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33259

But my understanding was that the de-cosmication process that occurs with all black cars under acceleration gives them an extra 5-12bhp between 3-5000rpm depending on ........oh ok you win Im full of beer...

Excuse my ignorance but what is a LWF?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33260

Light Weight Flywheel

Basically standard 993/964 have dual mass flywheel (separated by some kind of rubber in between) to make it feel smooth and insulate the noise and vibration from the gear box. Single mass flywheel (LWF) is much lighter and therefore engine can build up rev quicker and less energy waste. Thus feel more BHP as well as actual decrease in BHP loss during acceleration.

Common complaint with LWF is stalling issue (esp with earlier 993) where the engine rev drops too quickly when coming to a stop, causing the engine to stall. There are ways to deal with this problem but I haven't looked into it too closely yet.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33261

well said Mick!

stalling is not really an issue. Gear chatter at idle is nice!

extra response from the big right foot is :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33264

It is not chipping you want done but an on the fly remapping of the ECU. I had mine done on my last 993 which was pre-varioram and it resulted in smoother power delivery and an increase of 30 bhp. But each car will be different. It is a mod worth considering.

The number one mod as far as I am concerned is the Bilstein HD's and H&R springs from Carnewal, this transforms the car.

Agree with the rest of the things previously said, drilling, strut brace etc etc etc, but you should have got a set of Fabspeed Maxflo's the RSR's are to tame :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33296

From what I gather, a common problem with a lot of 993 is slipping cam chain sproket thingy migee, resulting in a wide range of power output from each 993. Has any of you guys thought of having the timing checked and may be re-install the woodruff key (I think the slot for the key is still present in early 993s) so it won't slip again. Surely you'd want to make sure the engine is running as it should before trying to squeeze more power out of it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33305

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back