Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 993 clutch

Evil Jack

It's heavy, grabs jerkily on upshifts, and theres about two inches of play in the pedal before I feel any resistance.

Car is at 54000 miles and still on original unit. So when I bought it , i budgeted for a new one anyway.

Just rang PCT to book it in, and i've been told that unless its actually slipping (it's not) then clutch is probably Ok. Might be a hydraulic problem or it just needs adjustment.

So, who's had a new clutch fitted, and what were the symptoms with the old one?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29418

PCT view sounds a bit simplistic. Clutch doesn't sound as though it's right - worth investigating. With those miles the time for a new one COULD be getting near. Stiffness/heavy operation is a common symptom of a clutch on the way out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29431

time for an rs clutch and lwf me thinks!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29443

So Poon

1.Bearing in mind I would expect a new standard clutch to be a lot better than this tired out one- Will I really notice the difference on the road?

2.How much is it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29445

I noticed the difference, better than my ecu tweeks, the clutch and lwf are alot lighter, this allows the engine to rev more freely, and therefore doesn't rob so much power.

The clutch does rattle in neutral at idle, but I like it, and when cold the engine can stall, but if you leave the engine in gear before stopping and let the revs drop to 600rpm the ecu cuts in and automatically increases the revs.

Costs as follows:

rs clutch £895
lwf £320
ring gear £130
plus all the extra little bits

suppose it costs about £600 more than a normal clutch replacement, well worth it in my opinion

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29447

Cool thanks. I'm off to PCT tomorrow to see what they make of mine. If I need a new clutch, i'll definitely enquire about theRS.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29448

So I took the car to PCT on friday and had the clutch inspected by Simon (nice chap).

YES i do need a new clutch. Seems that the play in the pedal is due to the shaft bending because its had to cope with the extra weight of the worn out pressure plate! They'll sort this out when they replace the clutch.

He's calling me soon with a price for LWF and RS clutch.

Might as well go for it.... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29584

Whats the cost of a regualr clutch replacement?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29585

I paid just under £1k at 9m about 6 months ago. They didn't have the RS clutch in and I deprately needed it done quickly.

The difference was amazing much lighter. In hindsight was glad I did not o for the RS clutch as I could not live with the noise, especially in stop start driving.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29633

Well, I'm booked in for LWF and RS clutch at PCT next week. I'll let you all know the results...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29791

Why is the RS clutch noisy at idling? :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29807

It's not actually the clutch that's noisy. What you're hearing is the 'chatter' from the idler gears in the gearbox. The normal heavy 'Dual Mass' flywheel 'dampens' the noise down so you don't hear it.

That's the way it was explained to me anyway....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29809

quite correct, mind you it isn't that noisy, I don't notice it anymore as the RSR's burble along nicely!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29846

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 09 June 2005

I don't notice it anymore as the RSR's burble along nicely!
Funny you should mention RSRs. I had a word with Gert the other day... Could be an expensive month! :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29848

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back