Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993: that big black exclamation mark

Maxy M

Barcelona
You know, the warning light that illuminates on start-up and comes on when something's amiss - from a busted belt to low fuel.

Does it go on and off in tandem with the handbrake warning light, ie when the handbrake is operated? Mine does, but I can't remember whether it did before yesterday. All other aspects of braking system appear OK.

(Car went to JZ yesterday for a few minor things to be sorted, eg aircon sensor, and I noticed it on the way home. Also had some Osram Silver Star headlamp bulbs fitted. Disappointed: can't really tell the difference between them and previous kit, and the beam adjustment is now awful - embarrassingly so. Huh, I)'ll do better myself...

But info on the warning light would be appreciated.

Cheers, MM

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28233

Maxy M

The answer to your question is - yes it is normal.

If any of the small warning lights come on, then the large ! one will as well - it is meant to draw your attention to the smaller light which is then meant to show you the nature of the problem. In this case to tell you that the handbrake is still on.

Jo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28235

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Maxy M on 11 May 2005

(Car went to JZ yesterday for a few minor things to be sorted, eg aircon sensor, and I noticed it on the way home. Also had some Osram Silver Star headlamp bulbs fitted. Disappointed: can't really tell the difference between them and previous kit, and the beam adjustment is now awful - embarrassingly so. Huh, I)'ll do better myself...

did they clean the inside of the headlamps ?

although the beam on mine is all over the place.. literally ! although hoping to get my xenon kit installed over the weekend ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28238

Mine Does !!

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28239

Well I just never noticed it before! Thanks fellas.

I guess I unconsciously looked at things differently after the car's bit of TLC (headlights excepted) at JZ. Maybe felt them too - the car generally felt more solid and screwed together and the engine felt and sounded great too (but they hadn't touched anything mechanical...!).

All just a load of imagined tosh but, hell, I had a great drive home!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28240

Mine too- also, the "spoiler failure" light stays illuminated for a few seconds too, until you move off.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28257

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robert Bill on 11 May 2005

also, the "spoiler failure" light stays illuminated for a few seconds too, until you move off.
Yes, that's normal. If it stays lit your spoiler ain't gonna come up at 80 kph or whatever like it should.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28261

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 11 May 2005

although the beam on mine is all over the place.. literally ! although hoping to get my xenon kit installed over the weekend ?

which hopefully should make this difference....

untitled.gif

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28275

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/DSC00302%20e.jpg

Took a photo when I changed from standard halogen to Silverstar, slight difference in colour, but it won't be much brighter as it's still the same wattage.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28276

But it says 50% more light on the packaging... :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28281

Well, it depends on 50% of what? I guess because the colour is "whiter" and the bulb may be more efficent, it may give 50% more "units" of light at a particular distance.

In practice, I don't think it's much brighter, but you do get slightly better visibility, if you see what I mean. A bit like comparing the old sodium street lamp to the new halogen ones.

For a real improvement, HID is the way to go, but I'm still sitting on the fence on this one, until I can have a look at someone's installation to see how you can fit all the bits and still retain the "pull out" unit feature of the standard light.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28282

silverstar make better use of the Kelivin light measure....

still a bulb though but they manage to project their light further one....

however with the poor reflector in the 993 headlamps it's better but not like more modern cars...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28291

Truth is, I didn't find the stock headlights much if any of a problem. One's speed is naturally limited by the reach of dipped beams and even a 993's main beams throw a lot of light a long way. Pretty much good enough for me.

I really wanted a bit of a xenon look - it was all about image. :oops:
For me, I think an HID kit is unnecessary complexity (the Boss would say unecessary expense too...). So I'll clean things up Sundeep-style and re-align the beams (especially so that the RH light isn't illuminating the opposite kerb...!! :evil: ).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28295

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back