Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Checking ? 993

Daniel

HI All, after collecting my new baby on thursday (pics soon!) the oil level gauge is a little bit low and moves up and down when i drive (low at high revs), so think i should check my oil.

To save me getting the manual out, could anyone tell me how i do this ?

I have heard that i need the engine running ?

Thank you.

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26120

Ignore the oil level gauge during driving.

Check the oil when the engine is properly hot, with the engine running (like when you get home after a run). Stand the car on level ground and wait - for a few mins, even five. In due course the oil level gauge needle will creep up. A good reading, ie signifying full, should be '3 o'clock'.

As a precaution, check the dipstick as well (just in case the gauge is faulty). And check the oil level frequently, like every couple of hundred miles. Oil is the lifeblood of an 'air-cooled' engine.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26128

as above

Check the oil on the dipstick when the engine is RUNNING at tickover and the oil is HOT - after a good half hour run.
With dry sump systems the guage is only accurate when the oil is hot as above and the engine has been idling for at least 2 minutes. Never overfill!

The guage is on the red line when running because the oil has been sent around the engine to do its job.
Oil consumption varies with traffic conditions and how hard the car is driven. Dont be surprised if it seems to use a lot. Carry a litre with you at all times!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26130

Carry on litre at all times! That's a bit over the top isn't it Stevo.

I've managed somehow to do 16,000 in mine in the last year (must enjoy driving it or something) and I've never been "caught short". I only ever put half litre in at a time.

When I first got it I worried myself a bit with it; but it's ok once you relax a little.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26132

Thank you for all the advise,

I am due to pop out later to drop some thing off which will take me 1 hour round trip, so I will check it on my return home..

It was full on collection of the car(thursday), but I have done 500 miles this weekend and not owning a Porsche before just abit worried..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26133

Sounds just like a new parent :)

BTW time to update your signature.......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26135

please read your manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if I had a pound for every one that asked this question because they couldn't be bothered to read the manual!

Seriously though, this is not a Vauxhall Cavalier, please take time to read the manual.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26149

in my defence when I made this classic 993 newbie oil mistake..

my manual was in german ! :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26151

A litre in the boot is great Insurance against potential engine failure.

Its there for when you just did your best A-B time over your favourite road and you realise that its a few weeks since you checked the oil and you kept meaning to check it but a million and one things got in the way!

Oil consumption can vary with ambient temperature, traffic conditions, speed and right foot pedal pressure.

But I have to admit I have never used my spare yet!

The real answer is to check, read the guage in traffic holdups and use common sense.

Which starts with reading the manual from cover to cover.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26152

I suppose the next question will be "what tyre pressures should I use?"

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26153

I have never read my manual, what is a tyre pressure?:)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26158

Whenever I get a new car the first thing I do - well after the first 'novelty' drive - is to sit down and read the manual from cover to cover. As a 993 is relatively basic, there's not so much to learn about how many ways you can configure the central locking, but there's plenty of useful stuff on safety, maintenance and warning lights.

Recommended.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26164

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back