Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

'83 911SC-1st Gear Selection

Mark Tyalor

Hi Guys,

Hoping you can give me some advice here. I'm just looking at buying a mid 80's 911 (which will be my 5th Porsche after working my way through from a 924,924S,944 & 928 S2) I've found a beautiful '83 911SC with Sport option, which ticks all the check boxes. The only problem I can find with it is that 1st gear engagement is a bit "cunchy" if that's the right word, if you try to engage it while the car is moving e.g coasting upto a junction or traffic lights. When the car is stationary, there's no problems engaging 1st. I've read that the 915 transmission in the pre '87 cars has its problems, and am wondering whether this is a "characteristic" of the car as oppose to a fault. All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26088

I have a 1984 911 with a 915 box, I had similar engagement problems when I bought the car.

I have since had it worked on and it's now as good as gold. Sounds like you will need the same.

It's apparently a common fault with the 915.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26097

Hi there,

thanks for the reply, could I ask how much it cost, so I can allow for it in the purchase price of the one I'm looking at. Also, did it involve a full gearbox rebuild?

Thank,

Mark

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26114

Well, mine had problems on 1st and 2nd and I had these taken care of along with 3rd just in case that was on the way out. It was near on £2k. Don't be surprised if they want to put a new clutch in too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 26118

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back