Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 fan stays on

chris

Silverstone
hi guys
can anyone tell me why my fan stays on after engine is switched off?
sometimes it stays on for a long time ...i.e 15 mins or so
and today it goes off and then comes on / off /on /off etc
any ides?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24394

Mine did that sometimes, you may have a dodgy sensor if it's doing it when the engine isn't particularly hot though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24397

Someone may correct me here but here goes -

If the fan you speak of is by the front left wheel then that would be oil cooler fan - maybe your oil level is low?? But if you are overheating in winter then you will be in trouble in summer!!

If it is by the front right wheel that is aircon -

Am I right Guys??

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24399

Yep. The aircon fan problem is very common, cheap to fix as it's just a resistor that just burns out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24400

....thats the big fan in engine bay!
not at front of car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24429

This is from
http://www.rennlist.com

The rear blower will run with the ignition off, but its start temp. is much higher (75C) than the ignition-on setpoints (45C = slow, 62C = fast).

So--as Mike suggests--what you're seeing is quite normal. You have to get the engine really hot for the rear blower to run with the ignition off.

You can start with a simple test to verify your rear blower will run in the heating mode:

-Set the temperature control knob to blue dot (coldest setting)

-Set the interior fan to "1"

-Turn on the ignition

-Turn the temperature control knob to a setting >21C. For example, 27C.

-Very shortly, the rear blower should start running in slow-speed.

-Increase the interior fan speed to a setting >2. Say, 3.

-The rear blower speed should increase to fast-speed.

This test will verify that the rear blower fuse, relay and ballast resistor are okay.

Don't know if this helps

John

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24450

Westyman, is that for a 993??

Reason I ask is because after a long run on the highway or while being gridlocked I never once saw or heard my rear fan running with the engine off - even in the middle of summer. (Could be mistaken here, but I thought it ran off the crankshaft anyway ??)

Not to scare you, but on the basis of my experience I would say you have some serious heating going on there -

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24457

LOJO,

Yes, this was on the 993 forum of Rennlist.

I agree, I have never heard my rear fan working after the engine was switched off. I can confirm that the second part regarding the rear blower working in the heating mode is a valid test.

Worth doing a search on Rennlist for "engine fan"

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24474

AC condenser is left front

oil cooler is right front

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30876

---i solved it !

sold the car!lol

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31234

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members