Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 exploding rear screen!!

chris

Has anyone ever had a rear screen explode on them in a 993 ? was driving it today and a huge bang left my whole rear window shattered....scared me Sh*tless .....thought it was laminated but went over a bump and it all fell in on rear seat!!!!!...getting so fed up now
Spent £6000 on engine rebuild lately
spent £450.00 on rear suspension arm last week
spent £800 on tyres this last 3 months
getting fed up now---
wife says sell it or she is going to!!
she said i will die in it - its jinxed!!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz why me huh? :( :( :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22954

i had heard about this problem occuring on the wide body cars, but not the narrow bodies cars - are you sure you wernt shot at ?

maybe by the wife ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22956

blimey that ain't good !

hang in there ! :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22957

Can understand why you're hacked off, Chris...

Well no one ever said that driving a 911 isn't interesting...!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22969

well i just thought it might have been thats all!! :?

running out of £££ now!

anyway theres an Aprilia RSV mille edwards rep for sale .....mmmm! cheaper faster etc!! etc!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22970

thanks for that baylon ! interesting !!

found out its covered on insurace £453.88 + vat
excess £60

being fixed tomorro!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23010

Chris

sorry mate sounds like a wrong un.............off load it ! I know it's a pain but a bad porsche is a real money pit, I had the same problems with a 964, i bought it up to spec and then sold it (full engine re-build etc) it had had a lot of bad owners and had been neglected and that's when these cars go wrong.
I have a 993 (97) that I had to spend 3k on when i got it to sort out recent neglect but it has been the best car i've ever owned since then.
there are plenty of really good ones out there but 993s don't seem to be moving at the moment
good luck, whatever you decide

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23368

cant a££ord to offload it ! wont get much for it-- and a newer one will cost alot more -& not got any more spare ££cash - ive paid out so now, have to get the enjoyment from it!

in for a penny eh!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23687

Well Chris, hang in there, once you've got all the niggles sorted you'll have a good car, which if you take care of it well, will last a long while and give little problems. Just got to keep on top of things as it is an old car after all, and little things will break and need fixing.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23689

My Targa rear screen broke with the previous owner- he said it was a stone... not implausible I suppose if it is not laminated, given the unusual rake of the rear glass.

I noticed loads of glass in the back of the car when I was cleaning it recently- hoover it really thoroughly- I got a splinter of glass in my finger from it. Also worth pulling out the rear parcel shelf and hoovering under that too.

I have a 325i Touring like this; things go wrong, you lose faith. But then I think fixing a car, within reason, is still cheaper than selling and buying a new one.

Now it is all done you can really enjoy it! The tyres and the window aren't really its fault, the £6k engine repair is very unfortunate, and the rear suspension arm ain't too bad in the scheme of things for a 10 year old car- got billed for similar for an arm for the BMW...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23691

yea -- me too! i have a 7 series and it needed suspension arms and baal joints and bushes £1200 !! cars eh .........!

As you say ill just hang on and enjoy the summer!! ROLL ON SUMMER !!

( miss my Aprilia RSV tho!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23694

yea -- me too! i have a 7 series and it needed suspension arms and baal joints and bushes £1200 !! cars eh .........!

As you say ill just hang on and enjoy the summer!! ROLL ON SUMMER !!

( miss my Aprilia RSV tho!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 23702

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back