Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Scart 100 cell cat with RSR silencers

Jo Brown

Trainee
Has anyone tried fitting a Scart 100 sell sports cat to a 993 already wearing Gert's (Robin Sun's) RSR silencer boxes? (See
www.scart-exhaust.com
but sold by Design911)

I know it will give about 12 extra hp but what will it do to the noise the RSR's normally make?

Jo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21692

in view that sports cat are noisy.... + gert's RSR's = even more noise......

although that would be an interesting combo.... no doubt an amazing sound...

my guess is that the noise levels would / could an issue for track days & the MOT...???

just for the sound.. go for it !!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21694

Is 100 cell cat legal/MOT passing?

Noise wise, I have RSR box and just barely passing the noise test on Bedford trackdays, had to press clutch down to get a green sticker. So with extra noise from 100 calls cat, it might just be a bit risky for some track days.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21712

I find the RSR's alone (even with the motorsound airbox) are not much different from the standard silencer when at tick over. They do seem to scream a bit at 3000 plus revs though.

100 cell cats are not an issue regarding the emissions test for an MOT and I have never had a problem with noisy cars failing the MOT for making too much noise - although I admit many should fail the limits imposed by the regulations.

There are certainly plenty of 964's making the right noise out on the roads. My friend has a superb RS replica which has the cat and the last box removed and a 4 inch tailpipe added - an unusual combination. That sounds like one of the 911's of old.

I find all the usual sports exhausts for the 993 disappointing and no match for the later factory 996 sports exhaust.

Someone, somewhere must have come up with a unit or a combination sounding more like the 911's of old without resulting to Fabspeeds notoriously loud Supercups, RUF's very expensive switchable system similar to Porsche's own 996 version, or cat bypass pipes.

You may get the impression that I am a 20 year old ex Impreza driver but I am in fact a 58 year old Porsche enthuisiast and the noise my Porsche makes is important to me - it's got to sound like a 911 should!

Doing it the trial and error way is expensive, so lets hear from you if you have discovered the sound correction combination for the 993 that the factory dialed out.

Jo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21717

I too love a proper 911 noise, and if you're not going to trackdays then more the better. I didn't mean failing the MOT noise test, I meant the trackday noise test. And it was the emmision test I was concerned about.

The roar you hear above 3000 rpm is probably from the airbox. Typically the RSR just gives a bit of extra rumble at lower revs. I'm sure others here will give you plenty of advice re noisy exhausts upgrades.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21720

#Typically the RSR just gives a bit of extra rumble at lower revs.#

must have fitted mine wrong ;-)

loads more noise and a lovely 'pop pop' on overun in traffic :) - however rs cams/fueling may cause a difference on mine?

2000 - 3000 there is a bit of resonance but worth putting upwith / driving around it..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21928

mine screams like a goddamn banshee - especially in tunnels.

I have lost count of the mumber of boy racer car alarms i have triggered just pulling in and out of the bluewater car parks!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21982

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back