Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 rear tyre wear?

PT

I have an '01 996 convertible and had the wheels and tyres changd when I bought the car a few months ago. Today I have noticed the on both rear tyres the inside edge is down to the wire whilst the remaining 85% of the tyres are not even down to the wear limits. They are 18" continental sport contacts and have done around 6,000 seldom thrashed miles. Surely this isn't normal, is it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21281

Uneven tread pattern means your wheels are out of whack. Getting them aligned should sort it out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21282

Camber out of alignement is prob' the reason.....

tyreCare1_D2i.jpg

Under-inflation

Under-inflation has caused this tyre to wear on the outer edges of the tread, leaving the central tread area far less worn.

spacer.gif

tyreCare2_D2i.jpg

Over-inflation

Over-inflation has resulted in the central tread area being forced into contact with the road causing rapid centre and worn shoulders.

spacer.gif

tyreCare3_D2i.jpg

Mis-alignment

A typical example of the wear pattern caused by front wheel mis-alignment. (Toe-in or toe-out) The edge of the tread is "feathered" and worn progressively from one side. The wear ridges can be felt by drawing a hand across the tread.

spacer.gif

tyreCare4_D2i.jpg

Camber wear

Excessive wheel camber has caused sloping wear on the outer edge of the tread on one shoulder of this tyre.

spacer.gif

tyreCare5_D2i.jpg

Illegal/dangerous wear

This tyre has been used well after reaching the legal minimum pattern depth of 1.6mm.

tyreCare6_D2i.jpg

End of life

This tyre has reached the legal minimum pattern depth of 1.6mm.

spacer.gif

tyreCare7_D2i.jpg

Emergency braking

An emergency braking manoeuvre with this tyre has caused the tyre to rapidly wear through the complete casing causing the tyre to deflate.

spacer.gif

tyreCare8_D2i.jpg

Cuts

Sharp objects can cause considerable damage rendering a tyre unserviceable.

spacer.gif

tyreCare9_D2i.jpg

Impact damage

This is damage caused by an impact to the sidewall. The bulge or "egg" indicates localised casing damage.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21283

Yesp, sounds like a set-up/alignment check is urgently needed...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21286

Thanks for that. I will book it in for a check, not at OPC of course as they want 4 hours labour!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21289

an OPC will only charge 2.5hrs labour

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22017

My OPC quotes 4 hours and even then I wouldn't trust them to do the job properly.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22029

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back