Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does 993 have OBD II ?

Don777

Silverstone
Does anyone know if a '96 993 would have OBD II (On Board Diagnostics) or is that a USA thing?

I want to buy a data-logger in the US but the car has to have OBD II. I know I've got some sort of Diagnostics port but just not sure if it's OBD II.

Thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19678

Don, I believe that the 993 is OBDII since it has an OBDII connector which is behind a small black cover (with OBD written on it) on the side of the gear shift housing.

I purchased a scan tool from Auto Enginuity which was supposed to scan all cars with OBD II. Doesn't work on the 993 (1996), but works on my BMW (2001). When I contacted AE them they said that the Porsche doesn't fully conform with the standard until at least 2000 and that their tool won't work.

I'd be really interested if someone finds the right scan tool (other than the Bosch Hammer) to perform simple diagnostics.

Paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19680

Thanks Paul,

Here's a link to what I'm interested in, it's a data-logging tool of sorts but as you can see it's in the US so not sure if it'll work.

http://maxqdata.com/MQ25.htm

Cheers,

Don.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19693

i think the pre varioram models are obd I and the variorams - 96 on are obd II

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19756

Toby's right. Pre VRAM is obdI. II on the post VRAMs.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20482

Thanks Ajit.

By the way your car sounds pretty spec'ed up. How do you find the RSR's? Any photo's?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20485

Well mine is a Vario and it doesn't work on OBDII. Anyone have an OBDI reader available so I can see if that works.

Paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20489

apparently the very useful VAG-COM from VAG Cars 'could' still read any other OBDII... will found out this weekend as a friend of mine who has the full VAG-com software for his TT is going to plug it in and see.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20500

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 10 November 2004

apparently the very useful VAG-COM from VAG Cars 'could' still read any other OBDII... will found out this weekend as a friend of mine who has the full VAG-com software for his TT is going to plug it in and see.....
Sundeep,

Did you ever find out if the VAG-COM worked?

I have tried an OBD-II reader on my 97model 993 and it doesn't work. According to Adrian Streather's 993 Enthusiast Companion it

Says that Model year 1995 993s are fitted with the 16pin OBD-II connector but only provide OBD-1 compliant fault codes and then a couple of pages later it says "The only OBD-II compliant 993 sold in Europe is the 993 Turbo."

Anyone else managed to get a diagnostic tool which works for a NA 993 with an OBDII socket?

John

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47050

John

VAG-COM didn't work, did have a good look at it, it appears that although the OBDII port exists the level of info is all coded up and limited to OBD I, which itself was very limited

I've seen my local OPC plug in their tools and even that only records a limited amount, so very much OBD I functionality even if it has a OBD II port !

regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47051

Probably worth checking which pins are wired. My 996 has EOBD (european) which has the same plug/socket as OBDII but very different wiring configuration.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47057

Thanks Sundeep,

Looks like the only option is the Bosch Hammer KTS301 tester.

I have suggested to my wife Row that a good way of not wasting the £35 paid for OBD-II reader would be to buy a 993 Turbo…. :D

John

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47062

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back