Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Tiptronic S

Ray

Monza

Hi everyone

Can someone confirm a small detail for me regarding the Tiptronic "S" 993 C2 models.

I recently saw one advertised as a 96 model with Tiptronic S (Thats with the buttons on the steering wheel isnt it?) as a 4 speed box.

I thought the Tiptronic 993's were all 5 speed if they were the "S" models or not?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18372

Ray,

I have got a 1994 tiptronic s and it only has 4 forward gears( reverse being the 5th)

The floor change has 1 2 3 and drive.

Peter

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18379

Peter

I thought that perhaps the later varioram models had 5 forward, but perhaps that only came in on the 996.

Regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18396

As it appears that there are only 4 forward gears does it make the car noisier at speed than the manual version? Or have they made the final drive higher?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18402

Ray

Mine is a pre-varioram with 4. I dont think varioram increased the number either. As for noise, in 4 th on motorways or around town, it is unnoticeable. Around back roads, I spend more time in 2 and 3, both for responsiveness and cos the melody from the sports air box at 4k rpm beats any CD.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18412

Yeah, 993 auto's only have 4 gears. Top sees 80ish at 3000 rpm and 110MPH at 4000 RPM so it's geared to red-line at 165ish - probably just like a manual? Downside, 4 gears isn't that many nowadays - though it does 80+ in 2nd and keeps going to 6000 RPM+ making better noises as it goes. (I'm thinking about the sound pack airbox - bet it sounds even better still :wink: )

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18435

@marx

yes - it does!!! - Mine sounds like an absoloute beast with the sports exhaust!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18810

Mine does too --- air box pack and a roock sports exhaust --------Luverrrrrrrrrrly !!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19413

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back