Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 - RS mods

pneumatic

Silverstone
Went to look at a car with 3.8 RS engine in Belgium at the weekend, does anyone know what a 993 with a RS flywheel and LSD should sound like at idle? Car also has a new lightweight clutch but seemed to rattle a bit. Is that normal?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18354

Engine should sound like all 993's except the exhaust note will be a bit deeper. The RS clutch is not a dampened unit and as such the gears will chatter at idle when the clutch pedal is not depressed, this goes away when the pedal is depresssed. If the car also has RS engine mounts then are manner of weird noises filter in to the cabin, the wierdest one I hear is the aircon pump.

Good luck

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18356

Couldn't have asked for a better answer, cheers Poon. And 10/10 for your icon. marvellous!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18358

I'm with Poon, mine sounds like a bag of spanners at idle with the clutch out, but once depressed it returns to its normal symphonic tones. The Cargraphic exhaust also adds to the experience.

Alot of people when first getting in think the engine is about to fall apart.

Hope this helps

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18359

yup - RS clutch and flywheel sounds ropey at idle, but goes when clutch is depressed. It also sounds like a coffee grinder when pulling away at low rpm, but this quickly disappears over approx 1500rpm.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18365

Many thanks chaps, you have put my mind at rest!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18368

Bosch,

I was trying to come up with a better description than "a bag of spanner" but i think your "coffee grinder" is an excellent description.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18369

Is the RS clutch a worthwhile upgrade as I have to change my clutch?

I may only do 1 trackday a year and wonder if the bag of spanners/coffee grinder sound is something that is worth living with.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18444

Yes it is along with the flywheel which is lighter, it allows the engine to rev more freely. Less power loss. The noises are not at all a problem, you only notice it from outside the car or with the driver door open at idle.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18446

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back