Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil lines to the oil cooler

Carrera1

The '88 911 I am planning on buying is about perfect. One "big" problem is that one of the solid oil lines that run under the car to the oil cooler in the right front wing has been been hit by a speed bump and is dented.

So my question is how severe does the dent have to be, before the oil line needs to be replaced? And is there any possibility of fixing the old oil line or does it always require a new line? And thirdly, in case getting a new oil line is the only option, what would be the most economical yet good quality part I should source? Any aftermarket options or is Porsche OEM the only alternative? Any suggestions where to get the part for a good price? I'm afraid to ask what a Porsche Center would ask for it...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17609

To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about these lines. The front oil cooler is thermostatically controlled and as far as I remember this means that it does not kick in until the oil temp guage reaches about the 10 o'clock position. This normally only happens in very hot weather if you are stuck in heavy traffic. In a cooler country (Finland ??) I think you could probably do without the front oil cooler altogether (I don't think the SC and early 3.2 had one at all). If it's leaking that's another matter ! I don't know how much they are to replace - I'm sure it's pretty expensive though !

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17610

Oil cooler..

The cooler in the front is needed but does take a while before its used. Its a feature that enables the car to run in any climate so when in a cool climate things are not so critical, but even in cool weather the thermostat will eventually open. Sorry to disagree Jamie but The older 3.2 and 3.0 did use a similar cooler.

As for how damaged they need to be , Ive seen many that aredented, and only when I saw one that was flattened did I replace. I guess its possible to repair, and join, but would be worried about and metal swarf floating around in the oil...so I dont think thats great.

I expect it is an 'original' only part, or maybe poss from a breaker, my advice...budget for the worst......take a look yourself and you should be able to see if it needs replacement or not.

Adrian Crawford.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17620

Thanks guys for the input!

I have agreed to go and have a look at the car in question on Friday. I've also agreed that I can have the car lifted up so I can have a look under the car to see how badly the oil line is dented, and I'm sure you can easily add 50% on that price if you go and ask from an OPC...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17625

Adrian,

I stand corrected. I was pretty sure there was some difference between the late and early 3.2s in this respect. Could it be that the late 3.2s have an additional fan on the oil cooler, whereas the early ones don't ????

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17629

Jamie,

I thought the same as you, and I'd got the idea from '101 Projects .. '

Apparently the 911S had a front rad in '69, which was dropped in '73 and replaced with a 'cooling loop' which lasted until '83, when it was re-replaced with the front radiator. This radiator seems to have gone through a period of evolution which culminated in the addition of the fan you mention in '87.

Bit sad to know all this, but it had got under my skin cos I thought the same as you but very much doubted that Adrian would be wrong (and he wasn't!).

Carrera, I agree with Adrian. If it's severely dented then the line needs replacing so as not to compromise the cooling.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17677

Hi..just joined this forum. I've got some crunched oil return tubes on my 1977 Carrera 3.0 where some PO lifted the car with a jack. Been looking into how to fix these and found an interesting solution from 'pelican parts.com' in the US. Apparently you can undent these tubes by sealing off on end...and pressurising the tube to about 120psi with compressed air then getting a blow torch and gently heating the dented area. Haven't done this yet but will keep you informed of the results once I get round to it! Sound like fun...wish me luck! M

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22390

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back