Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 wishbone bush wear

Abdul Guefor

My 993 S is coming to the end of it's Porsche used warranty period, so I took it to the OPC to have it checked over. They picked up wear on both front lower wishbone bushes and said they normally replace the wishbones, not just the bushes, and would also need a 4 wheel alignment afterwards. Quote in the post soon, but I'd guess £500-600.

Seems overkill to replace the whole wishbone if only the bush is worn. Has anyone used an independent for such a job; did they replace just the bushes? What did it cost?

Thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17077

There is an article in the June edition of 911 & Porsche World which covers this. Some guy (Geoff Everett) has developed a way of replacing the bushes without the need for new wishbones (total cost each side £100 instead of £500). The article says that Geoff can't sell to the general public but he appears to have a network of Porsche independents who use his techniques. The number for Geoff is 01865 331552 and his email is
[email protected]
- let us know how you get on.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17080

Thanks Wooly - will report back when I know more.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17083

Just re-read the article - could be even cheaper - only £100 for the whole car!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17084

If you read this months 911 & Porsche World OPCs have dropped the price of the wishbone assembly and another guy has written in to say that although the bushes are cheap labour costs will outweigh any savings against buying the whole assembly and there is also a chance that the whishbones could get damaged.

William
postamble();

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17087

Interesting - one of the few things every needed on my 993 was front wishboned and the replacement of them cost £576 (if I remember correctly) from an indy dealer.

They did seem to make a very small difference to the handling, but then again, it could just be the 'clean car always drives better' syndrome...

Andy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17114

Not attempting a shameless free plug or anything....

We produce a polyurethane resin in paste form that is sold to operators of coaches, buses and trucks to repair worn bushes.

Check out :

www.elichem.co.uk/arb.htm

Typically one kit will repair all your worn bushes without replacing anything for around £ 45,00.

The resin takes up the freeplay and provides a tough, resilient lining to protect the wishbone and bushes from further wear. The product is VOSA checked & approved.

Regards,

Aram

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17135

Wishbones...

If you go for new wishbones you are at least confident of doing the job right, considering any hint of bent arms, balljoint wear, etc. The parts cost has been about £160 a side (from memory) for some while, the extra cost is the labour to fit (and any decent workshop can do it) ..once fitted you can run it along to a good independant tyre place for four wheel alignment (note a 'good'), that way you may be able to save a few pounds.

Adrian Crawford
www.911secrets.com
www.performance2and4.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17141

can anyone tell me what are signs that front wishbones need to be replaced?

Uneven tyre wear?

I'm standing by to be enlightened. :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38417

When the machanic says "the bushes' gone mate.."

I haven't had one that bad it affected the handling yet, changed mine when the bits were off anyway even though it's only moderatly worn. Unpredictable and nervous handling I'd guess, uneven tyre wear is prob more likely to be due to alignment prob.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38421

if you get under your car, then you'll be able to see them.... if they are rock solid then all is well but if you are able to (carefully) put a screwdriver in the mount and if there is enough room for movement then they are worn, as they shouldn't if there are ok...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38424

you can ntell from the steering sometimes

a little more than usual play when going straight

when youve changed as many as i have like every 9/10 993's i buy

you then get the "feel"

Migration info. Legacy thread was 38465

Thanks - can anyone advise how much it costs to replace them?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43749

Worn front wishbone bushes usually show themselves under braking and a loss of sharpness from the front.

Just looking at them with no load will not tell you much, get a lever and move the wishbone sideways, you will then see how much the bush has worn.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43764

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 23 January 2006

Thanks - can anyone advise how much it costs to replace them?

parts over here are main dealer only...

£175 + vat for a standard

£185 + vat for an RS version (slightly thicker rubber and better)

each !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43769

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back