Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hello!

JWH

I just signed up, nice site!

I've always had a soft spot for 911s. I'm currently suffering a dilemma. I have a VW Golf rallye at the moment thats a bit special. It is an ex show car that came with a 2.9 litre VR6 engine from a VW Corrado. for the past 9 months its been slowly being converted to run that 2.9 with a turbo, that actually came from a 911 turbo! We are estimating that it will produce about 350bhp. Its 4 wheel drive (as all rallyes were)

My dilemma is this: As time goes on, I want a 911 more and more. If I sell my car, I reckon I might afford to buy a carrera 3.2, around the 1986 vintage. But I am seriously concerned that the golf will have more performance and I'll regret it! It sounds far fetched I know, but I've done my research. Power to weight, my golf should have about the same as a BMW M5 (the one with the 400bhp v8). On the other hand, the 911s arent slow (5.5 seconds to 60?) and they are beautiful cars. But I'd be spending more money for an older slower car, and if I'm not careful I could end up buying a lemon that needs a lot of expensive work...

I know what you guys would say! But trust me this is no ordinary golf. BEFORE the turbo was fitted it did a 14.9 second quarter mile (running about 200bhp).

Anyway, thats the introduction, what do you think I should be aiming to pay for this theoretical 1986 911 carrera 3.2 in good condition?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16055

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by JWH on 20 June 2004

I just signed up, nice site!

I've always had a soft spot for 911s. I'm currently suffering a dilemma. I have a VW Golf rallye at the moment thats a bit special. It is an ex show car that came with a 2.9 litre VR6 engine from a VW Corrado. for the past 9 months its been slowly being converted to run that 2.9 with a turbo, that actually came from a 911 turbo! We are estimating that it will produce about 350bhp. Its 4 wheel drive (as all rallyes were)

My dilemma is this: As time goes on, I want a 911 more and more. If I sell my car, I reckon I might afford to buy a carrera 3.2, around the 1986 vintage. But I am seriously concerned that the golf will have more performance and I'll regret it! It sounds far fetched I know, but I've done my research. Power to weight, my golf should have about the same as a BMW M5 (the one with the 400bhp v8). On the other hand, the 911s arent slow (5.5 seconds to 60?) and they are beautiful cars. But I'd be spending more money for an older slower car, and if I'm not careful I could end up buying a lemon that needs a lot of expensive work...

I know what you guys would say! But trust me this is no ordinary golf. BEFORE the turbo was fitted it did a 14.9 second quarter mile (running about 200bhp).

Anyway, thats the introduction, what do you think I should be aiming to pay for this theoretical 1986 911 carrera 3.2 in good condition?
Hello there.

Sounds like an interesting golf, got any pics?

There is a lot more to a 911 than straight line performance. There is the handling, looks, desireability, prestige etc.

A nice 1986 3.2 should cost you about £12k.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16056

that little? I understand that there's more to it than straight line performance. But I'm a little worried that a 911 wont live up to my expectations, thats all.

If a nice 3.2 can be had for £12k then I'm more tempted. Looking through autotrader etc I was expecting the answer to be more like £14k for one that I can trust, with £12k being "tread carefully" territory...

What sort of thing should I be looking out for then?

There are pictures of the golf on my website -
http://www.jeffhibberd.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/car.htm
and up to date engine pictures on
http://www.designadubs.com/vr6turbo.html

Of course it wont be the easiest car to sell either, only an enthusiast would appreciate it enough. But I have had friends from the VW scene tell me if I ever do sell it they'd be interested...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16060

Hello and welcome.

As oyu might be aware, a 911 is much more than just a fast car. I'm sure for the same money you can easily find a modern car that's faster, handle better, more comfy etc stc. However, you can never replace the feel of a 911. It's difficult to explain but I'd suggest getting a ride in one on a track/empty road, if you don't get it by then you probably never will.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16061

Previous poster said:

that little? I understand that there's more to it than straight line performance. But I'm a little worried that a 911 wont live up to my expectations, thats all.

If a nice 3.2 can be had for £12k then I'm more tempted. Looking through autotrader etc I was expecting the answer to be more like £14k for one that I can trust, with £12k being "tread carefully" territory...

What sort of thing should I be looking out for then?
Unfortunately 3.2s are not my forte. Seeing as you want an 1986(why that year?) £12k seems easily possible, maybe £1k more for an excellent 1986 example.

However, £15k can get you a decent 964 too. They will be more modern, but cost more to maintain.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16062

From the research I did, it seems that around the 85-88 era there are less issues to worry about, it was a while back that I did my research but there was something about gearboxes being made stronger at that time? And injection rather than carbs, galvanised bodies, that sort of thing. Much later than that I cant afford, if I'm honest, and earlier ones sound troublesome to me. Also looking at performance stats (I know its not all about that but even so its my main concern) earlier cars without the 3.2 engine arent going to cut it for me, I dont think, apart from specials like the RS and the turbo, but then they get into being expensive to run and buy again.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16063

Previous poster said:

From the research I did, it seems that around the 85-88 era there are less issues to worry about, it was a while back that I did my research but there was something about gearboxes being made stronger at that time?
The better G50 gearbox was introduced in 1987. The bodies were galvanised from 1978. The 3.2 ran from 84-89, so if you don't mind not having the new gearbox then you can get a good 84-86 for £12k.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16064

Don't buy a 911 for straight-line performance. Your Golf will definitely be, and feel quicker. A 911 is for you if you appreciate driving feel, the unique handling characteristics's, the sound of a flat 6 and the special experience of driving a 911.

£12k will get you a nice 915 gearboxed 3.2 (pre 87) but you will need nearer £15k for a nice G50 gearbox. If you have another car and the 911 is a 2nd car, you should be able to get a classic policy with limited mileage for about £500.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16072

thanks all. You seem a friendly bunch!

This is the dilemma James. I know the golf is going to feel quicker than any 911 I can afford. But I am keen to experience the handling, and the "911 experience". My problem is I think I'll feel short changed by the performance. On the flip side, my golf, while its fast, is still a golf at the end of the day. Its not as "special".

Dont get me wrong I still want a 911 even though it wont be as fast.

I guess I'd need to experience one first before I make my mind up.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16075

As someone who got to a 993 via TVR and a Corrado VR6, I appreciate your dilemma. Now I'm here, I reckon I'll not be moving anywhere soon.

Why? I've not driven a car that feels so ready to go, so planted and obviously designed from the ground up as a fast car. OK, it's not quite as quick as my ex-TVR in a straight line but that's almost irrelevant: instead I get a race-pedigree car that take anything I can dish out.

That's why this marque is worth paying extra for - though that's just my opinion...
postamble();

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16080

Yep thats about it Manek....... :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16093

ill let you know when i drive one! but im gonna get used to my golf first ive decided - havent even driven it with the turbo yet!

then I'll be able to make an informed decision. Understand what youre saying that the 911 has been designed from the ground up and refined over decades so it should be a more rounded, better driving experience. Although it has to be said since I cant afford a 4wd 911 thats another shame, theres nothing quite like being able to apply tons of power through a bend and know that neither end will give way before the other :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16114

I think you would/will be suprised at the grip the 2's have. Set up properly they handle very well - ok in conditions other than dry 4x4 may have the advantage but still I enyoed by my 911 SC about 4 years ago and now the 993 even more of course due to the different rear suspension.

911's also have to be driven in their own special way/style of course .... driving lines will differ from "other" cars.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16119

I can imagine. waited so long for the golf now, it was never meant to take this long but the evil money got in the way :( half tempted to ask the guy whos doing it if he wants to buy it, but i havent gone through hell for so long just to see someone else enjoy it. the 911 is stil a consideration but not for 6 months or so I've decided.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16143

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back