Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

flat battery

Peter Bird

Monza
I hav'nt used my car for a couple of weeks, needless to say the battery is now flagging a liitle (dead!)

If I want to charge it up with a normal battery charger do I need to disconnect it first or can I charge it connected.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15521

Should be ok to leave it connected - but then again will not hurt to lift the battery termials off to be on the safe side - still leaving it in the car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15523

Thanks Johnboy

Only problem with disconnecting the battery is I have to re-enter the pin number to the stereo and I don't think I have it. My main concern was on the older cars I beleive it sometimes damaged the diodes in the alternator. With all the modern electrical gizmos on the 993 I did'nt want to fry anything.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15524

You do not need to disconnect the battery but you should leave the bonnet open and have the garage well ventilated whilst it is charging. Remember, the 'boot' light will normally stay on while the boot lid is open so you need to hold down the switch by putting a short piece of wood between the switch and the car if you want to reduce the charging time as much as possible.

There is a gadget called an 'Optimate' about £40 which can be left connected over periods when the car is not being used. It reads the charge level in the battery every 30 mins and 'tops it up' as necessary. Better than an ordinary charger!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15529

Thanks Bill, battery being charged now. I will make enquiries about the optimate.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15544

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back