Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Idle RPM & wiper blade queries

JonH

Trainee
Great Forum. I've been checking in for several months now and have found them extremely useful, especially while tracking down my current car a 993 Targa which I purchased 1 month ago. Having previously owned a Boxster S (no hairdresser jokes please) it has taken me a while to adjust to the 993 (offset pedals, etc) but now that I have I love it too bits. However, there are a couple of questions that have been niggling me and I'm hoping someone can answer:

1. When the engine is warm and idling the oil pressure is just below 2 bar and RPM 800'ish, both with very very slight fluctuations. But about every minute or so (or if I increase the heater fan speed) the pressure/RPM will drop (i.e. RPM = 700) then increase (i.e. RPM = 1000) before settling back to its original position. Is this normal or should the engine idle smoothly all the time? FYI - I have the AC on all the time if this makes any difference.

2. The first time I took the car out in the rain I noticed that the top (18") wiper blade smeared rain across the driver's side of the windscreen as it came to rest. So out I went and bought two new Bosch wiper arms (15" & 18") thinking that this would solve the problem. But it is exactly the same. Both of the blade ends do not make full contact when in the parked position, I tryed bending them slightly but no joy. Is this one of the 993's idiosyncrasies or am I missing a trick. The passenger side clears perfectly!

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14884

Jon,

I had exactly the same issues with my 993. Even without a/c on, occasionally the idle speed would settle at around 1000 rpm, ultimately coming to rest within a minute or so at 800 rpm. Again, I also changed the wiper arms and blades to try to clear the screen more effictively but to no avail. I've only owned one 993, so perhaps it's not definite, but I think this is a 993 idiosyncrasy. Mine always left a smear of water at about eye level arcing across the drivers side.

Enjoy the car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14885

Hi Jon,

I just joined the forum too and also just got myself a 993 C4.

I have the same two problems as you. The wipers I think are a 911 trait, I changed mine and the drivers one still misses the last few inches.

I took my car to Northway near Reading (what good blokes) and they reckon my Idle Stabiliser Valve is knackered. A new one is over £200, but I'm still searching.

Hope it helps,

Don.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14924

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back