Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

SC or Carrera as daily driver?

s marjoram

Hello

I'd like to hear of anyone's experiences. We're moving out to the country so I'm facing a 12 mile each way commute. Currently options are..

Keep SC as a weekend car and buy another modern Focus or diesel of some sort.

Use SC as daily driver.

Sell SC and buy a LHD Audi TT or similar from germany for the same price.

My car's been pretty reliable so far (apart from the airbox that recently exploded) but it does suffer from the usual water leaks in bad weather. There's also a tiny patch of rust bubbles which will only get worse driving it on salty roads. And its done 95K miles so it wouldn't take much to get it to the point where I might need clutch or top end overhauls.

Any thoughts on costs of running and so on?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14565

I used to commute in my SC (until i hit a patch of ice and wrote it off) 34 miles a day and loved it!

It was beginning to get a bit expensive, and took some very cautious driving in the wet. But with the summer coming surely you're going to enjoy driving it more than anything else into work! I'd suggest running it until the end of the summer, then get something for the winter months.

I've had to make do with a beetle to replace mine, and my trips into work aren't half as enjoyable! - If you've got it, flaunt it!

Waz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14566

Sorry to hear about your car. I took mine on a trackday in some of the worst weather we had last year and I was amazed at the grip and handling - I had new tyres mind. Ice is another matter though.

In Germany you can pick up an Audi TT for 8500-9000 - which is about what I'd get for my car - I'm not sure if it'll be as much fun to drive though - or have as much character - but at least I could leave it out in the rain.

BMW roadsters are cheaper still but they just don't really do it for me - a bit too posey. Maybe I should test drive a couple and see what they're like.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14568

hey s marjoram, just checked out your gallery. You have some great pictures, I particularly like the cross processed ones. Were these really taken on a Coolpix 990??

Stick with the SC; its well capable and as Waz says you can enjoy over the summer. The TT is as about as much fun as having your teeth pulled. Z3 is not much better, but Z1's a laugh.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14574

Thanks for the replies. Glad you liked the photos - yes most were taken witha 990 or occasionally a 5700. I've now got a canon dslr but the other cameras were both very capable. The cross processed effect was added in photoshop.

I think I'll use the SC over summer and think about what to do in the winter. What's wrong with the TT?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14577

drive a tt and you'll know - it'll feel totally lifeless after a 911.

which canon did you go for - i'm trying decide whether to fork out for 10d or 300d. i've used a 1d which was amazing.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14578

I went for the 300D. With DSLR's it's the lenses that are most important. I was on a budget so I bought the cheaper body and some nice lenses - in a year or two the bodies will probably cost half as much again and have a higher number of pixels. There are only a few features the 10D has that the 300D doesn't - they can both theoretically take identical images. It's up to you whether you need the faster shooting and tougher body etc. It's a great camera though - I'm very pleased with it so far.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14579

marjoram,

I daily drive my '85 carrera, and it has been totally reliable and a lot more fun than anything else. The guy I bought it off did the same for five years with no major problems, he still misses it now... (I work with him).

Regular use is the best thing for a Porsche (or any car!!) and will keep the running costs down, maybe try and get the leaks fixed for winter? Cheaper than buying another car and you would badly miss the SC.

Enjoy it :D

Matt.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14586

I used my 84 Carrera as daily transport here in Switzerland for about a year and a half - totally reliable, but a bit of a handfull in the snow - even on snow tyres. It never let me down and i made sure that i power washed it every other week to remove any salt and it looked even better when i sold it, than it did when i bought it !!

I used to smile when in Oct my Ferrari driving collegues would start to "store" their cars for the winter - whats the point in having your dream car if you can only drive it for half a year??

It had to go as i couldnt cope without a/c - the summers here are rarther warm and any longish trip was unbearable, however the heater in winter was fantastic - why do people moan about the heaters in earlier cars ??

Miss it like mad - but replaced it with a 94 993 - not quite as "raw" but perfect for all year, everyday transport.

Good luck !!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14587

Too right about the heater. On a really cold day I might switch mine on to 1 or 2 for a bit but it soon gets too hot and I have to switch it off again.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14591

I'll try it over the summer and see what it costs in petrol and so on. I'll also try and sort out the leaks.

I'm pretty sure I won't get a TT though. They look nice but from what I've heard I'd be very disappointed with the drive.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14596

I think you would be disappointed with the TT - just keep thinking "it's a golf in drag"........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14597

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by warren mcbride on 01 April 2004
I think you would be disappointed with the TT - just keep thinking "it's a golf in drag"........

plus you'll get fed up of being mistaken for the 50th member of So Solid Crew. Bling

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14598

Nice one bosch !!!
Boo - ya !!
and all that....................

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14599

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back