Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Filler

Hendo

Ok Chaps

What do we use out there for getting oil from can to engine? I spent ages on saturday trying not to pour oil down the side of the filler (slightly unsuccessfully) whilst trying to avoid being dragged cuff first into a variety of hot belts and wheels (successfully). Is there some sort of Porsche/oil can conspiracy to make this process as bloomin irritating as possible?

:evil:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14493

I use a funnel, few quid from any motor spares shop.

I would also turn my engine off before trying to top it up!! :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14494

..I asume you're pulling out the flexible hose bit from the pipe? I just shove a funnel into it. Seems to work fine.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14496

Ah, that'll be the flexible hose I didnt know about then

:oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14501

Hendo,

My 3.2 has noflexible hose, so maybe your 993 hasn't either (lost / removed etc.) - trying to offer you a get-out clause here mate ! I use the hand speed vs oil viscosity tactic to get mine filled. If you move fast enough you can shove the mouth of the oil can into the filler neck before the oil starts pouring out - you've gotta be quick though !!! It works best with one litre cans ! This method is by no means foolproof as I have proved to myself by pouring half a litre of oil over the inside of the rear wing !

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14504

Yes, to be fair - unless you RTFM, you might not have noticed - mine will come out all together if I pull it too far, so it's possible someone has removed it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14506

Jamie

You speak my language, it was the combination of attempting the handspeed method with an 'up and over action' whilst avoiding the belts that resulted in a tad of spillage into the inner wing. Also I had no desire rendering myself to look like an extra from Shaun of the Dead in front of the kids on a saturday afternoon. (mangled to the forearm with my fingers whipping round in the belts and pulleys doesnt do it for them!!). Matt, you may feel that I'm stupidly spicing up the process by leaving the engine running, but as I mentioned on another thread, I was taught in Switzerland that ignoring the dipstick level, and filling until the read-out on the oil level was between 2 and 3 oclock was a failsafe method of avoiding over fill. The difficult bit in Switzerland was finding a flat enough place to do it once you'd warmed the engine sufficiently.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14507

Hendo,

the difference between the marks on the dipstick is 1.75 litres, so when its near the bottom mark I pour about a litre in and it goes nicely up to the 2/3 o'clock region, without risking anything. Leaning over a running engine is v. dangerous!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14511

Matt

Agree that standing over a running engine is neither big nor clever, but what other way is there? Unless you want to wear out your battery and starter motor by restarting the car every time you pour a litre in...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14519

i think the extendable filler neck only arrived on the 993, my 964 didn't have one.

I also use a long neck funnel thingy.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14525

Manek,

I turn the engine off, pour in one litre, then don't even check it again until the next time I use it, because I know it will have gone back up to the correct level - ermm I'm only talking about topping up the oil level, not refilling after an oil change....

Besides, using a funnel you can fill it up from the side of the car anyway, everyone's happy :D

Matt.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14527

on the big bottles of mobil 1 they have a pull out funnel on the bottle itself and that with the pull out funnel is normally enough - until the pull out pops in and oil pisses all down the inside :(
Migration info. Legacy thread was 14532

I'm with Hendo - the only way to top up is with the engine running. But then I also lived in Switzerland (and bought my car there too). I use the big cans of Mobil 1 with the pull out extension and the extendable hose in the oil tank but I still usually manage to get some oil in the wing. The problem is that, with the exhaust blowing up your trouser leg, you are forced to adopt beginners' ski-ing positions so you don't quite get the ideal stance for topping up without drips. It's a cheap thrill though - if you like that sort of thing! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14533

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back