Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 RS

Richard PB

1st post for me. Been thinking about an RS for some time now. Most seem to be LHD - are these imports for germany? If so, any spec differences to the RHD UK cars? How much of a premium do RHD cars command?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Richard

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13384

I'm no expert on the RS models but did have a look at them previously. As far as I can tell you're looking at a good £30k for a LHD lightweight and around £35k for a RHD of which I believe many are comfort spec. with electric windows etc. But I may be wrong.

I think James Ball knows a bit about the 964 RS so if he catches this post I'm sure he'll give more detailed advice.

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13403

I am no expert either but having come painfully close to buying a LHD 964RS twice I have picked up a few tips.

Pricewise you are generally looking at £25k+ for LHD and £35k+ for RHD. If you can afford a RHD 964RS I would recommend looking at getting a LHD 993RS instead - they are a much better proposition for a road or even road/track car. You can find LHD cars for even less, but they generally have done a lot of track time and may be a little "tired". I almost bought a LHD RS last Christmas for £20,500. Unfortunately it fell through. It seemed to be an honest, straight car with a lot of money spent on it but happened to be at a good price - selling at the wrong time of the year, in Newcastle (where no one can be bothered to travel to), so "bargains" are out there to be had if you look long and hard enough.

LHD cars are definitely "purer" than RHD - the pedals are less offset, they have no powersteering, they have no under-body sealant (all of which are found on RHD cars). RS's are very much designed for track use so LHD shouldn't be a problem.

There is a good "buyers guide" on John Miles' 964 website (http://www.porsche964.com) written by Laurence Gibbs (who is an expert). Here is a link to it:
http://www.porsche964.co.uk/variants/964_rs.htm

I also have scanned a buyers' guide from 911 & Porsche World which I would email you. If you would like it send me a Private Message. It is pretty big though (3meg +)

Finally there is a LHD RS for sale on Pistonheads at the moment. I understand it is a good one and you may be able to haggle for it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13405

Thanks for the advice guys. I have looked at the site above already and found it very interesting. LHD is not putting me off that much and in some ways seems to add to the 'aura' (if that's what you'd call it). I am not a regular trackday goer- lack of oppurtunity here in 'dry-as-a-bone' Scotland! However I have a job interview next week and I may be moving, so I will have to get acquainted.

The 993RS is an interesting proposition, hadn't really considered it. Will look up stats and consider.

James - you have PM re. article

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13414

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back