Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

sportmatic how good?

I've owned a '78SC Targa for 19 years , I think it's bloody marvelous . Mine bears little resemblance to the original though and in my opinion is improved substantially. The sporto part of the engine is reliable and efficient. It isn't to everyone's taste but being disabled I need a semi-auto box. BTW it's 'sportomatic'.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13173

Thanks Bones, How many gears do they have? are they all the same ? whats the 0 to 60 ? What about top speed? By the way your car look fantastic

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13179

Up to '74 they were all 4 speed , then for two years you could have 3 or 4 gears , In '78 they were all 3 speed and the idea was stopped in '80. Mine is currently being backdated to 4 speed. When I bought the car in the '80s Ihad it timed at an airfoeld event and 0-60mph was 6.1 secs, the highest registered speed on the clock was 145mph on the Autobahn. The car is lighter now and with the shorter gears I imagine it's quicker 0-60 but I don't care. It's a hobby now and I get a great deal of pleasure from making sure it's properly maintained and slowly modifying it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13180

Its a manual box with a switch for the vacum clutch disengage/engage built into the stick, its quite good fun. Its great for town and traffic, no clutch pumping.

I had a tiptronic because I do alot of town driving, I recently sold it to free up some cash and bought a 911 SC Sporto. Its a pleasure to drive and good fun in the lanes.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13181

There aren't many left, what year is it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13185

From memory its a Feb 1978 car. It was quite hard to find. There seemed to be one or two 2.7's popping up but never an SC. I was quite chuffed to find it.

Here's a link to its condition as I purchased it a few months ago (the year it wrong on this page):

http://www.356-911.com/post1974/moderngallery/911restogallery/911scsportoresto.htm

Its now had the sport kit removed and sitting on 16" fuchs, oil level sender has been repaired, expandable oil return tubes are to be fitted next.

Hopefully It will be ready by the summer.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13207

Gregsy, you are a brave man. I hope you were looking for a project! You seem to know what you have let yourself in for though. I am sure it will be good fun.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13208

James,

Its not as bad as it sounds, Its had all new wings and lock panels, doors, respray and Its got a full camtune service history, one of the seals on the oil return tubes needs replacing and that will fix the leak. The rest is mainly tidying. Its already Mot'ed and on the Road.

You should see the state of my 914 Crayford its a rolling shell and a boxes of parts.(soon to be a 3.0 914-6 track day car.)

Hows your 964 RS hunt coming on?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13210

City Invader......I have a friend who lives in Fakenham if you're available sometime and any where near we could meet up later in the year I sometimes stay there for weekends.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13242

Bones

That will be great I lookforward to that, Fakenham is only up the road it takes about 20min. and I hope I will have found a car by then. I am looking at one this weekend a 1986 convertable 3.2 it was changed to a flat nose some time ago its not my first choice but if its as good as as he says it is I may consider changing it back to original. If its not the one for me, there is always another day and another car and a few miles between.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13272

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back