Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Upgrade Help

dan goode

Hi,

I am relativley new to the Porsche world. I bought a R Reg 993 C4 Cabriolet about 6 months ago and it is a fantastic ride and the most fun.

I was thinking of giving it a little more beef but dont want to spend the earth. can anyone suggest anything?

Ninemeister in Warrington recon they can Mapp it for a day at £500 and increase the BHP from 285 to 310ish. This sounds fantastic, does anyone know any more about this process. Is it safe, does it really work?

I have heard this is much better than Chipping the car? Is this true?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan.

P.S. I have loads more questions I would love to chat about with someone that knows their sh*t.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12883

Ring Colin Belton at Ninemeister - great bloke, he'll talk you through it. (It does involve chipping by the way). ie. altering the fueling and ignition mapping on the ECU chip. Much easier to do on the earlier non-vario ram engines - I think your options on the vario engines are more limited. At this point I will pass on to the 993 experts........

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12884

You got msn messenger dan?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12893

I'll second the recommendation for Colin at Ninemeister - he seems to be a top bloke, knows his onions and has plenty of "proper" data to back up his modification claims. He also follows a philosophy of doing upgrades that build on each other, rather than require throwing away earlier mods that are no longer needed, so in the long-term his mods work out cheaper (it is all relative of course!) He has helped me out a couple of times, has gone above and beyond, and has been extremely helpful.

No connection to him or his business, just very impressed with him & his business.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12899

even ninemeister can't ring 315bhp out of a 3.6l 993 engine for £500 quid, more like £3500 with a full motec conversion.

295bhp is more realistic.

Go for a chip, exhaust and airbox set up, this will make the engine more free revving and iron out any flat spots, then RS mounts to tighten it all up and a lightweight flywheel and clutch when yours goes.

Get your suspension sorted out and the car will feel faster on the road.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12909

Agree with Poon - 315bhp is too much, and may well be the case with one engine, but then another could have the same mods and maybe go from a 'supposed' 285 to 287bhp. Given the fact it probably wasn't making 285bhp in the first place given it's run in, tolerances etc.

Like Poon said, go for airbox and exhaust, then get it remapped, as it will obviously take in the benefits of the changes at the same time. Less point in doing if afterwards, as the ECU can only adjust so much, if at all.

Every engine is different - and remapping (not just chipping which defines a standard chip with set settings), whereas remapping allows a programmable chip to be adjusted to your car specifics tolerances and characteristics. When I had my WRX in Australia, I did a few dyno (rolling road) days, whereby they had 4 'identical' WRX (no mods on any of them), warmed up the same amount of time on the same day (ie same conditions of air temp entering turbo), similiar mileages and all four cars made different power outputs and different torque curves, flat spots etc. It really showed how different engines are.

Without a doubt, it will make a difference, but don;t necessarily expect it to be chalk and cheese...

Andy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12913

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back