Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Need Help - Young 1st Time Buyer!!!

James6

Hey guys,Need a bit of advice if you dont mind.I am looking to buy an old porsche (1980 - 1990):
T291.jpg

Url to pic if it didn’t load:
http://www.oakhills.co.uk/cars/big/T291.jpg

Im 20 years old with a clean driving licence (3 years) and want something thats not going to be stupid money to insure but looks like the pic above.What is the best model to buy for reliability, parts etc.Any advice would be appreciated!!!!!Thanks in advance!James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12102

James,

not a bad choice! is that your budget, and is lhd ok?

adam.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12104

Insyrance is gonna be the killer - try getting some quotes on various types online first and see what prices they come up with - tesco online are pretty good but if you are looking to insure a turbo at age 20 - be prepared to get a tiptronic - after you've given the Insurance company an arm and a keg its all you'll be able to drive! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12105

LOL Toby

But, James6, his comments are right. Insurance for a Turbo 2 at age twenty would be horrific. Fuchs have a couple of other 964 models including a nice C4. As other threads have mentioned and as you will see on service pricing menus in magazines that 964's will be more expensive to service than a late eighties 3.2 carrera. For the money for the turbo, you could find a nice early (94-95) LHD 993 C2 that would be cheaper to run and cheaper to insure than the turbo. As Toby said, try a couple of online quotes first and see what they come up with.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12108

Cheers for the reply guys,I doesn't have to be a turbo, i just picked that pic as an example of the shape i am looking for.I suppose the question should have been what model would you guys reccomend buying?I got a quote on this:
<Sorry image not available after migration>

http://www.911uk.com/car.asp?stockid=89002
Came in well under 2k which was great!Any suggestions?CheersJames

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12115

James,

by the look of it, its the 964 shape you like. Loads of really useful previous threads on buying advice here. The sc is up to 1983 - impact concertina bumpers 3.0 204bhp. 3.2 carrera 1983/89 with an improved gearbox in 1986 231bhp. looks pretty much the same as the sc. 964 is more modern internally and has the plastic wrap around bumpers with automatic rear spoiler 250bhp. all the above have the classic frog eye headlamps.

with any of them you still have to decide on coupe, targa or cab.

clearly have a look and drive all three for preference. my experience is that the model doesn't seem to make too much difference for Insurance (except turbo). once you've decided which one is for you, you can then start looking for a specific car based around each variants individual faults. always have it inspected!

parts are readily available for all, and for servicing have a look at
www.jzmachtech.com
who are well respected independents with menu priced services. 911&porscheworld is a good buy each month as well.

each variant will tend to have a ceiling price, and there are plenty about so take your time for the right one.

good luck, adam.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12117

It looks like the 964 is favoured but with a budget of 12K i wouldnt expect to find many good examples of a 964 variant for that unfortunately. be careful with earlier cars that have had later body styles fitted - why have they been fitted, have they had a smash and been tarted up or is it a ropey conversion. the original 911's will be more around your budget especially if you want a RHD and they are cheaper to service and maintain, if your not shy with a set of spanners a lot of the maintenance can be done yourself, the 964's come with more mod-cons, ABS, power steering etc.. but agian more to repair.

BTW that Insurance quote for the SC - did you declare all the mods on that one?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12132

With a budget of 12k I would go with a 3.2 carrera(1984-1989).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12134

agreed noony.

James6, you bring hope to all us young people! all i need now is some no claims and an extra ten grand!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12139

luke,

i'll trade you some ncd for some youth!

adam

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12148

haha!

i dunno, university vs spending all my money on Insurance. i think ill hold out!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12149

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back