Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Need Advice - PLEASE READ!!!

James6

Hey guys, :)
Need a bit of advice if you dont mind.I am looking to buy an old Porsche (1970s - 1990s):
T291.jpg

Url to pic if it didn’t load:
http://www.oakhills.co.uk/cars/big/T291.jpg

Im 20 years old with a clean driving licence (3 years) and want something thats not going to be stupid money to insure but looks like the pic above.What is the best model to buy for reliability, parts etc.Any advice would be appreciated!!!!!Thanks in advance!James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12101

About 12,000 depending on how much work is needed!CheersJames

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12116

Personally I would say a late '80s Carrera 3.2 would be possible in the price range, they are reliable and well built, performance is not far off the latter models, just make sure you choose one of the later ones with G50 gearbox. If you get a LHD one then you can get a really good one with the budget. The picture is one of 964, just the model after, fair bit more expensive to buy and to service. Unfortunately they are all Gp 20 for Insurance.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12143

On ANY car you like the look of, get it inspected by a qualified (preferrably Porsche experienced) inspector. You will see inspection services advertised in 911 & Porsche World magazine.

Plus, I would advise an HPI check.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12157

I agree. A 3.2 Carrera is the way to go. £12k is probably not enough for a RHD version with the later (better) G50 gearbox but a well set up 915 gearbox is fine anyway. There are loads out there but loads are pretty tired so you should expect to see lots and turn lots away.

An interesting alternative is a 76-77 Carerra 3.0. They are very similar to the 3.0 SC that followed them but are pretty rare and if you ever have to open the engine up you can make a few easy mods to push the power up to about 240 bhp - a very useful gain over the standard 200 bhp. Of course it will cost you a few grand too!

3.0SC's are great cars but I find them a little "ordinary" - sorry SC owners. Plus for a few extra quid you can get a 3.2 with the extra oomph.

74-77 2.7's are to be avoided. Underpowered, un-galvanised, un-loved (generally)

The 74 Carrera 2.7, however, is the exception. It is still un-galvanised so a garage is a necessity, but it has the engine from the famoun 2.7 Carrera RS and is a great car. They can be picked up for a few grand more than you are asking if you look hard enough.

Any cars earlier than this are likely to be above your budget and really are "classic cars" and need looking after as such. They are probably a bit more trouble than they are worth as your first 911.

Finally, buy the best one you can afford. Problems ALWAYS cost more to fix than you think. Much better to get an SC that has had money thrown at it by the previous owner than a 3.2 Carrera that is a bit tired and is likely to need a top end and gearox rebuild in the near future. Look for a car that has a stack of receipts and has been well loved, otherwise it is likely to cost you.

Regardless of how much has been spent on it, you should budget £1500 a year on servicing and upkeep, and you would be sensible to keep a pot of cash to one side (e.g. £3k) for unexpected eventualities e.g. top end rebuild. These are old cars and things DO go wrong.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12162

If I had £12k as a budget I would get a 968, preferably a CS if you could find one.

A 964 will cost you buckets to run, mine cost over £9k in 3 years, mind you the Roock suspension, cup exhaust, cup alloys, teardrops, chip etc were service items!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12164

I agree with everyone else with regards to a 3.2, but, have considered the cost of Insurance? I gave up dreaming about a 3.2 when the quotes were coming in £1500-2000 higher than those for a 3.0SC. You'll have fun with the Insurance companies when you tell them you're 20! I eventually settled for a 3.0SC which is costing me £800 a year to insure, try getting some quotes before you buy, you might be in for a big shock! Also, from the prices i've seen £12,000 won't get you an exceptional 3.2, prices are still all over the place for them! £10,000 will get you a good SC. (well i thought that until my gearbox blew up!).

Happy Hunting

Waz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12178

Hey everyone!!! :)
Thank you all for such a good response!! :lol:
I have finally had a good Insurance quote back on a:
PORSCHE 911 CARRERA COUPE up to age 1990The price came out at a p
remium of: £1670.35 which is in my price range for Insurance.What is the best model to get in the PORSCHE 911 CARRERA COUPE range?I dont really want to spend more than 15k if i can help it ideally around the 10 to 11k mark. Especially if i am going to need to put a bit aside for repairs etc.Looking foward to hearing from you all!Thanks againJames

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12185

henry at
www.911virgin.co.uk
has a white 3.2 caraere up fro 15K or a targa for 13

He's even got a couple of 964's within your price range but i would go for the 3.2's for that sort of money.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12191

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back