Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bulbs - A possible 993 solution

JamesM

Hockenheim
Hi Guys,

One of my headlight bulbs failed on Christmas Eve as I was driving home, so I popped into Halford to see if they supplied replacement bulbs for the 993. I checked on their chart and it displayed an "*" to indicate that more powerful bulbs were also available. I purchased some of the "High Intensity - Blue" blubs, installed them in the carpark and drove the final 20 or so miles of my journey along VERY dark country lanes - What a difference!!! I can now see where I'm going without the need to put on the full beam. I'd say that they are at least 30-50% better than the standard bulbs, at at only £9.95 each, a bargain!!!

They still not upto Xenon spec, but are far better than the normal bulbs.

Cheers - James

PS - I hope that everyone had a great Christmas!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11985

I have done the same with my 993 using blue 100 watt bulbs from Leclerc supermarket in France at £3.60 each - with the addition of cleaning the reflectors and lenses inside, BUT was told by a motor mechanic last week to check for heating of cables and the little spring clip that holds the bulbs in place because some motor manufacturers do not have beefy enough wiring to cope. Result could be burning wires and burning plastic reflectors and a burning car - he said.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11989

if the bulb has a higher power rating but the car's wiring is not up to the job, then there will be a voltage drop across the bulb which will reduce its light output, sometimes to less than stock, while at the same time consuming more power and risking electrical fire!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11993

It's still 55w as per the manual, so there shouldn't be any issues.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11995

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may sound total nonsense, but about one of the few good things to come from Auto Express is the bulb reviews they carry out every now and then - with scientific measurements looking at both near and far illumination. I'm not sure when the last one was done, but have a look at
www.autoexpress.co.uk
which has, under Product Reviews, tests on standard, 30% and 50% plus bulbs. Last time I bought the best set and it worked better than standard, but then it all depends what standard is/was.

Likewise, I have the details of a good on-line website for anyone wishing to purchases bulbs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

AndyPhilpott put the advice above onto the 'Bright Eyes' forum entry in October. Very 'enlightening' . :wink:

I had a look at the review and have ordered the Osram 50% brighter bulbs online - they are cheap, give the best performance and do not suck any extra power down the cables - I was in too much of a rush to read Andy's entry properly, so sorry Andy I did not find out about your website....

Will let you know when they arrive and I have installed them....

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12020

Just what I've been looking for, brighter bulbs without increasing wattage.

LOJO, what did you pay for the Osrams and from which website did you purchase, if you dont mind me asking?

Also read the review on auto express and they seem to favour the Osram lamps.

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12141

LoJo

Not a problem old boy - you're forgiven. If anyone is interested, I used autolamps-online.com to buy mine - good company and goods came quickly.

Andy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12166

Sorry Dunc - have been off the site for a couple of days - my thoughts exactly!

I found this site
http://www.antcarparts.co.uk/showcat.php?catid=18
I struggled through the confusing array of options and catalogues and specs and eventually decided that the H4 seemed to be the best one - (not sure why now). 2 bulbs cost 19,95 incl. VAT and delivery.

They have not arrived yet, so I can't say how good the company are - am willing to give them the benefit over Xmas -

LOJO

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12183

No probs. LOJO, thanks for the info, I have looked at their site and was a bit confused as to ordering the correct lamp for the car?!

Andy, did you go for the Osrams also? Did you find a worthwhile improvement?

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12187

aren't 993 hl bulbs H1's?

Thats what my manual said anyway?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12190

Dunc

To be honest - cannot remember what I ultimately went for but think it was the Osram silverstar, as that had the best light output in the tests. Yes, there was a difference, and it was better, but it's like swapping from Mo Mowlam to Camilla Parker-Bowles. Yes, there's a difference and an improvment, but ultimately we'll all aiming for Britney! :wink:

As for the type of bulbs, there are two in 993's - one for the dip beam and one for main rather than a combined filament. This was, I think from memory, an H1 and an H3 as I bought two bulbs per side to try and improve the lighting.
Andy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12222

OK, this is what Osram responded to me about the bulbs we should be installing ...... NOTHING but H1 - apparently H3/H4 don't fit. So - anyone wanna buy a pair of H4's? (I will try to return/swap them).....

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your enquiry about our SILVERSTAR bulbs. For your headlights you will need 2 pairs of H1 Silverstar bulbs and for your foglights, one pair of our H3 SUPER bulbs. You can buy these from our mail-order company and their hotline number is 0845 226 0389. They are very competitively priced and offer a next day delivery. I hope this is of help to you, but should I be able to assist you any further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Kate (Automotive - Aftermarket)

OSRAM UK LTD

Website -
http://www.startledrabbit.com/home.php

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12246

Cheers LOJO, just ordered a set from the Osram website and will see how they are in the dipped beams. If Ok then I'll get another pair for the beams (they are post free after all so trial and error ain't such a big deal).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12288

I used
www.powerbulbs.com
for my BM - got the xenon look bulbs plus the silver indicator bulbs for the clear indicators - looked so much neater than clear lenses wiith orange bulbs!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12294

Just fitted the Osram bulbs and cleaned out the reflectors etc. Seems to be a bit brighter but, since its still daylight, hard to tell how much. Looks like a whiter light too.

Had to do a bit of messing to get the lights to mate with the power plug though - did anyone else have this bother (I had it both sides)?

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12418

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back