Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange Noise

Simon W

Barcelona
I have a 993 Carrera S which has developed an unusual noise. The best comparisson I can come up with is the noise the pointer makes on the wheel of fortune as it flaps between the numbers. It's especially noticeable at slow speeds - at higher speeds it's more of a drone. It seems to be eminating from the near side front.

I've checked under the car to see if something is hanging down and flapping against a wheel or the road but there's nothing obvious. The wheel isn't loose and I don't think the bearing has gone.

Has anyone ever encountered this before?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11562

I can't imagine it is this but:

The other weekend i replaced my heater cables and in doing so dislodged the metal brake pipe shroud which carries the rubber one to the brakes. This is held in a jaw cast in the axle/suspension mounts and when dislodged was rubbing on the axle causing a similar noise.

I'm not sure if anything like this is possible at the front, but might be work a look.

Waz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11564

Sounds too simple - a nail, tack, glass, even a stickey piece of plastic will make a noise each time it spins around and smacks the road.....

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11565

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by LOJO on 04 December 2003

Sounds too simple - a nail, tack, glass, even a stickey piece of plastic will make a noise each time it spins around and smacks the road.....

LJ
I thought that too.

This has happened to me and it was a stone in the tread of the tyre!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11569

I used to get the same noise from my M3 and it was a shard of glass that had got inside the alloy.

Same noise I used to get when sticking a lolly stick into the spokes of my BMX tyres to make it sound cool. Not such a cool noise from your supercar pride and joy though Simon.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11570

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by StevenC on 04 December 2003

Same noise I used to get when sticking a lolly stick into the spokes of my BMX tyres to make it sound cool. Not such a cool noise from your supercar pride and joy though Simon.

I remember :D :D :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11572

Just been down to the car park and given the tyres a good check. Can't see any problem there though. I've noticed a flap of material on either side of the car, inset from each of the front wheels. They seems to be made of flexible material, but neither of these could be touching the wheels. The noise persists.

I'll let you know what it is when I find it. Thanks for the comments.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11575

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back