Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

my first Porsche!!

TerryNutkins

I'm extremely new to this game, having just bought a 993 c2. What a beauty!! Its made me realise that my last car (Scooby sti V4) could take any driver and make them look good. The Porsche, on the otherhand is far from forgiving ,and I am in the process of learning to drive again (but i'm having fun in the process!!!)

Its on an N plate so has got the six speed box. This may sound like a silly question, but what is the best way to drive it economically? i.e. what revs, when should I change up etc?? I'm amazed by the torque and ultimately find myself in the wrong gear! Acheiving just over 20mpg on its first tank, is a bit disappointing.

your help is appreciated!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11497

Hi Terry,

First of all, welcome!!! You've obvioulsy bought an excellent car.

20 mpg might be quite good depending on the type of driving that you're doing. Is it in town? Motorway cruising? mixture?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11499

thanks James,

its a stop start affair through various towns and villages, culminating in a wonderful arrival in Slough! I've only teased the throttle so far as I'm getting used to the car, also its been chucking it down and I'm getting to grips with a rear wheel car as opposed to this AWD nonsense!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11501

as it happens I have all my fingers intact, and most definately do not own an otter. Will a cat do?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11503

I have a '96 993, drive 20 miles each way to work, and get average of 17 - 18 per gallon. Thirsty stuff, but worth every drop. Again it's stop start driving, but for 4 miles down the A1 it's a little slice of ecstacy.

Followed a 996 turbo on the way in this morning. They are not slow.

Enjoy yourself.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11504

We get 13mpg in the 996, don't complain too much! Although SimonK will tell you how to get 30+ :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11505

Only getting around 17 here!

But what a fun and noisy 17 they are!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11506

Congratulations btw. Have you got any pics?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11515

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by noony on 02 December 2003

We get 13mpg in the 996, don't complain too much! Although SimonK will tell you how to get 30+ :wink:
Hey it was only the once! And as for how you do it, basically you just pretend you're poncing around in a boxster!

Simon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11516

LOL...point taken! I think I've been spoilt for the last couple of years as I've also been driving a remapped Smart (yes, I said remapped!!) I manage 50mpg + (basically £12 will get me four days worth of commute). The wife now needs it again...sob!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11524

Hi Terry, welcome to the world of Ecstasy. I also have a 993 c2, and a remapped Smart with Janspeed. I had manage to get 30mpg with the 993, but you have to keep the speed as constant as you could, within the speed limit and not overtake the elderly lady in front. With stop start driving I'd be lucky to get 23mpg. On boring roads I tend to keep rev below 3000 rpm, only rev it higher on "interesting" roads where the extra power and juice is worth it. I'm sure you can appreciate the car even when it's not driven hard. Tempting though! If you have a chance, take it to the track, then you can push it to near its limit without too much risk, a great way to find out just how good the car is!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11556

my smart was mapped by Big Performance. I noticed a difference immediately. It has given it more torque and mid range and the gear changes are much quicker, in short it has completely changed the car (82bhp!!). Infact, I nailed a nova swing the other day. Please as punch I was!! Hang on.....isn't this the funkysmart forum?

Anyway, next week i'll be driving the Porsche full time and I'm really excited. Thanks to all that replied and for nipping my fuel consumption woes in the bud!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11559

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
N13LVV
Back