Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne

mogsyman

My 996 has been at AFN having the last of its faults fixed and I have been driving around in a Cayenne S courtesy of AFN Guildford.

My impression is that it is a really well built quite fast car that is actually good fun. I hate auto boxes and this is no exception. Put your foot down at the wrong time and wwwwooooooohhhhhh, back behind the car you were going to overtake very quickly rather than play chicken. Use the gears manually and it goes quite well, I can only think the Turbo must be a beast. However you would have to be seriously wealthy to run either of these, as I did 550 miles over the last few days and am now nursing a £150 fuel bill! - although the heated seats and steering wheel made a nice touch (I only have heated seats on the 996)

The PCM unit complete with Bose is similar but has quite a few additional options that the PCM 2 I am used to doesn't have (still no TMC though) and it also has an additional AV button but that didn't do anything so I'm not sure what that's all about. The system also has surround sound which I turned off quickly as it's a pile of poop.

Would I have one? probably not as a Diesel X5 loaded would save at least £10k+ and probably drive just as well.

Not sure if this if of any interest but thought it was worth a thread.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11152

They make a pretty nice noise too!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11154

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by noony on 25 November 2003

They make a pretty nice noise too!
Oh yes I forgot about that, they certainly do! (an F-off big US V8 type of noise)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11155

Mogsy

Thats why I have been sitting waiting for the V6 version. I specced the car quite high, eg PSM, 20" wheels, full leather etc and the price came out at 43K, it is about 10K cheaper than the Cayenne S with the same spec.

Okay it's got 90BHP less, but does that really matter in an SUV?

Sean

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11176

The look of the Cayenne is a real slow burner as well. I think it looks great now. Still not sure if it should be a Porsche but that is another story.

Great looking SUV.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11177

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by mogsyman on 25 November 2003

However you would have to be seriously wealthy to run either of these, as I did 550 miles over the last few days and am now nursing a £150 fuel bill! -
That's why I got shot of my ML!!! :eek:
Those 4x4's are thirsty!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11183

Mogsyman - Must of given the right foot a bit of welly, I reckon that's only 13 to the gallon :twisted:
, still what are courtesy cars for. :lol:

Got a new S coming in March, can't wait. I think it's a great car and now even more so after putting it thru its paces at Millbrook the other day thanks to OPC Silverstone.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11190

Sorry to digress slightly, but I tend to get diesel A4s as courtesy cars from the OPC - much to my dissapointment!

Suppose a Cayenne is useful if you want to tow with prestige?! Second thought, towing with that fuel consumption?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11192

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sean Dudding on 26 November 2003

Mogsy

Thats why I have been sitting waiting for the V6 version. I specced the car quite high, eg PSM, 20" wheels, full leather etc and the price came out at 43K, it is about 10K cheaper than the Cayenne S with the same spec.

Okay it's got 90BHP less, but does that really matter in an SUV?

Sean
Sean

I recon you'll be bored to death by the time you reach the main road from the dealer!

The S is quick enough to get passed a car or two but I think you'll find the V6 will really struggle to overtake. If you are used to any performance then don't do it.

You can buy a really good 2002 early 2003 fully loaded S for 49k - it's got to be worth thinking about?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11198

Overtaking has little to do with with power and more to do with timing and skill. So Sean enjoy your V6 thingy....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11199

Tell that to the tw*t on the M4 yesterday who was towing a caravan ( I jest not ) in the fast lane at 65mph trying to go past an Articulated Lorry.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11205

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by bjmullan on 26 November 2003

Overtaking has little to do with with power and more to do with timing and skill. So Sean enjoy your V6 thingy....
I agree with you but it becomes more difficult to overtake if there is never a gap big enough because the car has insufficient power.

The Cayenne weighs in at over 2.5 tonnes!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11216

Overtaking with a trailer and a GT3RS on the back, not sure it would be an option...

I drove a Cayenne S for the weekend, and loved it. I also test drove the Toureng V6 and that was quite good, and the Cayenne has another 40HP on top.

I have the option with the dealer involved that I can borrow there V6 Demo before I accept my car, if I don't like it then I can walk away from my V6 order. So it's just an option.

I currently have an Audi Allroad 2.5TDi for towing and it's pretty good. If I can find a good S at the time then I may go that way.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11223

My A6 is only a 2.4 so you need plenty of timing and skill when attempting an overtake! But it's comfortable and doesnt like bends much anyway, so you just relax and don't drive it particularly fast. When you want to go fast that's what a 911 is for surely!

Simon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11224

What with Mr. 30MPG? :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11237

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back