Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bonnet Gas Struts/ windscreen wiper

LOJO

Sao Paulo
Hi All -

I was in Oz for the World Cup Semis :)
or I would have been at the "Surrey Currey" but I will definitely join you guys next time -

I searched for this subject in the old problems forum, but found nothing - I have a 1996 993 and found that the bonnet doesn't stay up when opened - Is this a known problem? And any suggestions where I can get new ones without the Porsche price uplift applied to them?

One more thing - my rear windscreen wiper has been making a clicking noise, but just snapped when I used it on the M4 on Saturday - is this a known problem, and is there a place I can get a new one at a reasonable price?

Thanks, Cheers, LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11056

Try design911.co.uk - £12.95 +vat

As for propping the bonnet, careful how you prop it, i used a piece of wood until i realised what damage it would do if it fell out! - ended up holding it up with my shoulder while i changed each strut.

Also try porscheshop.co.uk, they were doing an offer on them when i replaced mine, which was only a week ago.

Waz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11061

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by LOJO on 24 November 2003

I was in Oz for the World Cup Semis :)
or I would have been at the "Surrey Currey" but I will definitely join you guys next time -
Hhhm, tough choice that! Curry on with a bunch of 911 anoraks on a dreary night in November or World Cup rugby in Oz..........why did you choose the rugby :wink:

Only kidding!

Just make sure that you're at the Sussex curry....to be arranged by Manek.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11067

What happened to the Brighton one?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11085

Er - Brighton IS in Sussex - or rather, it was until they went and played silly-buggers with their city status...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11120

PS: The porscheshop site seems to be down.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11121

...but design911.co.uk has them for £9.95 + VAT for the 993 (which almost everyone here seems to own, judging by the line-up in Weybridge last week).

I have the same problem - a floppy engine lid - so has anyone here fitted lid struts before? Are they easy to replace and what other ancillary parts might I need?

TIA.

>Edited to add that there are very clear instructions here:
http://p-car.com/diy/hoodshock/

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11126

Hi Manek

It worked for me - try the link?

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/

- update - weird - I searched it yesterday, checked it today, posted the link, checked my link to ensure it was working and get a BT Openworld error - so it's not working now, sorry -

Update - the link above is working again - Manek thanks for the excellent instructions - I confess it is a bit intimidating for me - but at least I know it is a non-trivial exercise!!

Cheers, LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11128

I've ordered the struts and am waiting for them to turn up. I'll let you know how I get on!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11388

Just as a codicil to this: I placed an Internet order for the struts last Tuesday, paying by BACS online, and called them Monday to find out why nothing had arrived. They insisted no money had arrived even though my statement showed a payment from my account to theirs. My bank then traced the money, and confirmed that it had gone into their account.

I called design911 just now to get them to check again - and they just said that the kit would go out today. No apology, nothing. Not impressed with design911.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11527

Hi Manek,

I liked the P-car DIY section you posted - my rear wiper recently stopped working and then I and decided I agreed with the comments on this site :

"
It's ugly, it spoils the clean look of the rear of the car, it's got to go."

So I to removed my rearwiper in about 15 minutes last Friday - two 25mm grommets are installed now - looks much better IMHO.

http://p-car.com/diy/rearwiper/

Have you installed the gas struts yet?

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11642

Nope, haven't had time. This weekend, hopefully.

It SOUNDS quite straightforward but as we know, things are rarely thus. I must remember to wedge a large plastic bag under the strut area to catch the bits I drop (as I surely shall...)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11680

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by manek on 03�December�2003
Just as a�codicil to this: I placed an Internet order for the struts last Tuesday, paying by BACS online,�and called them Monday to find out why nothing had arrived. They insisted no money had arrived even though my statement showed a payment from my account to theirs. My bank then traced the money, and confirmed that it had gone into their account.
I called design911 just now to get them to check again - and they just said that the kit would go out today. No apology, nothing. Not impressed with design911.
Doesn't surprise me to hear that , their service attitude leaves a lot to be desired and it comes from the top. However they do usually getthe job done and are cheap on many parts.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11700

Yes, a package did arrive next day and the new struts look kind of impressive -- for struts.

Is that a bit sad? :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11710

Just remember you are in good company with your sadness and all.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11722

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back