Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3.2 Carrera / 964 ECU Chip Group Buy

Jamie Summers

Guys,

Have a look at this site

http://www.911chips.com/index.html

Steve Wong's chip's are widely regarded as some of the best available. We're trying to put together a group buy on the PCGB forum. Let me know if there's any interest.

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10989

Jamie. I assume this "group buy" also includes having each chip tailored to each car - they are not "off the shelf" are they?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10991

They aren't individually set up but they are specified to each model / year of production and desired fuel octane rating, and work out at about half the price you would pay for the privilege at JZ or 9M for a dyno mapped one. Whilst I don't doubt the tailor made approach will provide better results they won't be twice as good ! Read the testimonials on Pelican / Rennlist if in doubt !

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10999

Don't know yet, have to see how many people are interested then we'll try to get a price - it's not going to be any more than US$230 !

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11003

jamie,

i'd be very interested for that sort of money.

adam

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11004

Jamie. You surprise me. I was under the impression that unless a chip is set up specifically for a particular car the chances of any significant gains are remote - each engine being different and all that. I can well believe that I am wrong in this impression though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11006

This guy certainly does get good reviews on Pelican. I'm sure his remaps are well worth it if you're in the US, running US pump fuel, but how many times has he mapped a car intented for use with Optimax?!? From what I can gather US fuel is inferior to UK, which is why our cars have low comp. engines (Jamie). I'd go for a custom map every time, unless SteveW plans on spending some time in the UK or can convince you his maps will get the most out of UK fuel!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11008

i think the problem with uk sourced off the shelf chips is essentially the price - for just a bob more you can get a tailored amd/jz/9m chip which you can expect to be markedly better in use. for around 230usd these look potentially good value though.
you can certainly specify uk based engine 98 ron fuel.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11013

Nathan,

If you read the testimonials on the website / Pelican of people with Eurp-spec 3.2s they give Steve's chips a really good write-up too. I wouldn't expect significant hp gains but a bit more torque and better part load throttle response.

I agree that it will never be as good as a tailor-mapped / dyno'd chip, but the point is the price. If we could get these things delivered for about £150 then I think that would make extremely good 'bang for buck' value. Can't think of many things that you can do to a 911 for £150 !!!!

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11022

I'm sceptical about the results. Even if average gain is 10hp, you can have a Unichip installed and dyno tuned to your car from £400 and some have reported 25hp gains with this.

So.. 10hp for £150, or 25hp for £400 - I would spend a little extra for the noticeable gain. Of course, my 10hp generic gain estimate could be way off...

One way we can all gain as a group is to get people together with the same cars, and try the chip on one car and have it dynoed before the rest jump in. Everyone contributes to the one dyno session. That might only be £10 per person to confirm what difference you will get on UK fuel before you buy.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11023

If the fuel difference can be taken into account, and I wasn't doing anything else to my car, I'd probably consider it, but unfortunately my hunger for more power has got the better of me! I'm sure I would benefit more from a custom remap than if my car was standard.

Graham, don't know much about Unichip but are these gains based on a 993? I'm sure I've read the later cars benefit more, and max from a 3.2 is about 15hp (I spoke with Geoff at AMD before his departure). If SteveW can get 10-15hp on a standard motor for £150 it's got to be worth a shot.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11026

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Nathan on 23 November 2003

If SteveW can get 10-15hp on a standard motor for £150 it's got to be worth a shot.

Perhaps, if you never intend to get a more advanced chip or piggyback computer installed. If you do have such plans, you will be wasting the money on the chip. Just something to consider. I'm sure that for some people's needs the chip will be the right thing to get.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11041

Right guys, last chance on this......

If you want a chip it'll be $200 (if we get three or more - have two so far). As of 1st December price goes up $50.

DEADLINE 5pm TODAY !!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11268

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back